The NrWav parameter in WTO does not appear to be slicing wavetables downloaded from waveeditonline properly. Each wavetable consists of 64 single-cycle waveforms at 16-bit, 44.1kHz. Each wave is 256 samples with an overall file length of around 371ms (16,384 samples).
When I load any of these files into WTO with NrWav set to the default 64, the oscillator is sampling 16 cycles (waves) as one waveform. The Z-axis rotates between 4 aggregated waves of 16 cycles, and the X and Y axis rotate between full and zero amplitude with no other timbral/structural changes in the wave.
When changing NrWav on these tables, the display doesn’t reflect the file getting sliced differently, nor do changes to the XYZ controls. I also tried pressing “Load” after changing NrWav to no effect. I tried 36 different wavetables, all with 64 single-cycle waveforms. Most of these are dumps from other instruments like Plaits, Braids, Prophet VS, MS2000, PPG Wave, etc. When loading the files in the input recorder or Audacity, the waveforms and whole file appear as expected.
When using NrWav values in the single digits (2-8), it’s unpredictable compared to the expected behavior. Values above 8-10 result in no change.
Bert commented on another thread about slicing wavetables into a 10x10x10 grid using a value of 1000. I looked into turning NrWav up to 512 or 1024 to further divide these tables, but the control stops at 255 with no change to the wave.
I can record a video if this needs a more detailed explanation.
Steps to reproduce:
- Load a wavetable file from waveeditonline (example Prophet VS table)
- Observe 16 single-cycle waves loaded as one waveform
- Using X and Y axis controls, observe amplitude drop to 0 by the midpoint of the range
- Using Z control, observe rotation through 4 pages of 16 cycles as one waveform then flattening to amplitude 0 in the later half of the control (>70% or so)
- Use NrWav control to adjust slicing away from 64
- Observe no change to the wavetable display or impact of xyz controls compared to previous
Software version: 20012020
Type: major - unable to use imported wavetables
- Does WTO expect a minimum length on the input file and/or might require a minimum number of samples per NrWav slice?
- Does the NrWav value reflect a decimal number of slices or 8-bit value of the control itself (0-255)? If the latter, is there a matrix/table for how that control value translates to number of slices?