What's your reason to use SSP rather than just a computer?

Hey Technobear,

how do you connect the SSP to an ethernet connection? Is that complicated?

I could see the potential of a sample transfer; it would also elevate resampling sessions to a new level of speed and efficiency.

What I would also love is the possibility to rename presets from your computer, because in my sessions I like to save many presets, and renaming every single one of them just takes too much time with the SSP encoders.

On the topic, computer vs ssp;

I can only say that not only does the SSP has it’s own way of doing things, it also got it’s own sound;
so to just look at the functionality doesn’t serve justice to the SSP. The audio engine itself is unique and comes with it’s own delicate ways of doing things.

Also, there is currently no tool on the market that connects computers to eurorack like the SSP does.
So if you use VCV Rack, or Bitwig Grid, or Ableton CV tools, the SSP can be very valuable on top.

connecting via ethernet is covered here:

it can be a bit tricky (see my tips in that post) depending upon your experience.
if I can compile the wifi that could be much easier.

yes… its makes things much easier.

no… the ‘issue’ is the preset name is within the preset data, its not the filename. so its not possible to do this.

I find renaming on the SSP is ok, IF you do it as you go along.
as Ive mentioned elsewhere, I cleared off all presets from my SSP, and started from scratch and only have my own presets on it… and I make sure I renamed everything as I create it… so its only takes a few seconds.

even my ‘temporary’ patches are renamed things like scratch, rngstest … so I dont end up with loads of New12 :wink:

I’d personally prefer presets to use this ‘preset name’ as the filename. @bert

This would make sharing presets easier, since users would not have to rename them to an ‘available number’

Sorting, if the filename were sorted in the list, then users could prefix their favorites, to bring them to the top. Also re-ordering list, is a simple matter of renaming one file ( not the whole numeric sequence)

Similar to sorting, if ssp loaded first in said list, then appropriate naming ( eg 00default) would mean a user could select preset to load.

connection of a USB keyboard directly to the SSP would solve a lot (of naming problems, and mayby navigation too?)

hmm… yeah that could be interesting… I can imagine it being a pretty quick way to navigate around the networking screen, and also with some (clever) keyboard mapping even make selecting outputs quicker.
could even be useful for performance, as you could perhaps map ‘shortcut keys’ to flip between modules, without having to go back to the network page.

perhaps something for @bert to consider for synthor

funny , I always thought connecting a qwerty keyboard to eurorack modules was a odd/nerdy idea, but things like teletype and trackers, show it can be pretty neat (esp. some of the micro keyboards you can get, including wireless ones)

on a tangent note, usb keyboards do already work…
I used it when playing with Orca on the SSP.

you cannot see the keyboard here (I was concentrating on the screen) , but Orca very much a text/console based experience - a lot of people love this, as like trackers, it makes for a very quick workflow.
one thing I found was that this console mode, actually worked really well on the SSP.
the only thing I needed to do was to increase the default text size - due to the fact the resolution of the SSP’s screen is very high, compared to physical size. ( iirc this was something like 24 or 32 pitch, rather than default of 14?)

for those with linux skills, if you stop synthor, and similarly increase the console text size, the screen is quite ‘useable’

as mentioned elsewhere (kofi likely?), Im thinking of creating a kind of ‘launcher’ VST, that opens a backdoor to the stop synthor, and launch ‘custom applications’ … like Orca.

for me really just another example of the ‘untapped’ potential of the SSP that the community could already be exploring :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Interesting you mentioned the Mordax DATA. The DATA is probably one of my most missed modules after downsizing my rack. I’d be curious to know how you get similar functionality out of the SSP or if it would be possible to make a VST that’s just a scope with similar controls to the DATA.

If we’re talking keyboard… I was curious if a keyboard worked with SYNTHOR, so I plugged one in. It does! For a few limited things.

• Enter seemed to correspond to PG+
  • Up/down arrows and Enter worked to select and turn modulation destinations on and off, when that list had focus on the Network page
  • Tab might have been switching focus between different lists on the Network page, but there isn’t any visual highlighting, so it was very hard to navigate around
  • Unfortunately it didn’t work for renaming presets :pensive:

@bert is this behaviour documented anywhere?

1 Like

I’m learning how to make VSTs for the SSP at the moment. I’ve added Oscilloscope to my list of things to try, since a basic version of this should be easy (it’s already included in the SSP SDK QVCA module.)

I have a Mordax Data also, and maybe it would be possible to incrementally add Data features to the Oscilloscope. A passthrough from input to output would be a good start, showing multiple traces and adjusting the scale of the axes. With the SSP you can have more ins and outs than the Data!

Don’t ask me about the Spectrograph though :sweat_smile:

1 Like

yeah, I miss my DATA too… this was the origin of SWAT, as I needed to see voltage levels,

I think something like DATA will be my next vst, the idea is that this would not only give me a useful way to visualise cv/audio for vst dev, but also give me some visual components I could add to my other vsts :slight_smile:

@littlebear its pretty common to map digital buttons to HID in linux -so what your seeing will be a consequence of that.
for sure, keyboard control could be added but I suspect reality is very few people would actually use it… who really wants to connect a keyboard just to rename preset etc.
for broader applications, perhaps it will be useful - but I personally see it more useful/easier to connect remotely via a laptop over wifi

1 Like

Sounds awesome! Looking forward to it.

the ability to hook up a keyboard to my EMU samplers gives it an performance edge ; goes very fast

even a (numerical) keypad to the SSP would be great

(also because Percussa charges 400€ for the remote)

1 Like

scp.so.zip (1.8 MB)

Well here’s the first stab at it :grin: a 16-channel oscilloscope. Super early days… It’s not very useful for measuring voltages or anything yet, it’s just based on the Oscilloscope class in the QVCA module. To be honest, it’s an exercise in doing the simplest thing possible to get a VST going on the SSP. I will add more features though, and it’s completely open source (as the licenses require), so other people can improve it, make pull requests, raise Github issues etc. The code is here.

I had to rename it from SCOPE to SCP, because apparently 4 characters is the maximum :sweat_smile: but it doesn’t Securely CoPy anything.

Features I could implement next include:

• Only show as many scopes as there are active incoming connections, and maximise the size of them accordingly
  • Show all traces on a single scope, in different colours (a la Mordax Data)
  • Put voltage scales on the axes and a background grid on each scope
  • Allow adjustment of the time and voltage scales, and trace positioning
  • Triggering
    etc. etc.

What do you think?

Edit: Feedback welcome, or if you can be bothered installing it let me know if it works for you!

4 Likes

Congratulations! You have just made your first SSP VST. It works fine. I have hooked up an INP module and connected all 16 SSP inputs to the scope. To make it more useful, the first thing to address would be to make the timescale adjustable.
But anyway - it’s great that you have completed the development cycle. From code to working SSP module. You have a lift-off to bigger and brighter things!

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah, I realise it doesn’t add much value over eg. the QVCA right now, although you can visualise all 16 inputs if you want :smirk: But yeah, I’m off to the races!

By the way, one of the first things I would like to do is convert some of your patches into modules! :slight_smile: Or at least make a Turing Machine to run the Shift Register. Cheers!

holy cow! That was fast, Downloading and testing now.

1 Like

scp.so.zip (1.9 MB)

Here’s a bit more of a fun version that displays 4 inputs on one full-screen scope, like Mordax Data (in the same colours) :stuck_out_tongue:

Still not very useful, until I can figure out what voltage each value corresponds to (shouldn’t be too hard?) and also what the timescale is (based on the sample rate, I guess?) and, more importantly, how to change it…

EDIT: Reduced to four inputs as 16 seemed poorly performant, and I’ve no idea how to optimise it!

EDIT Edit: Changing the timescale might be a bit tricky, as I think that would involve changing the audio buffer size, and it looks like plugins can’t do that?

2 Likes

cool, you’re making some progress.
(probably should be doing this in its own topic)

Yeah, with the benefit of hindsight it would be good to move a bunch of previous posts, but that probably requires an admin… @Kent, if I create a new topic for all the “Mordax Data-style oscilloscope” posts, would you be able to help with that?

Edit: The new topic is here.

Looks good. I’m on my way to the airport. Will see what I can do about consolidating but it may have to wait until next week.
Quite the coincidence. I was writing down ideas for utilities and an o-scope was a natural addition. Bravo!

2 Likes