Very new to modular question

Hi, this may be a dumb question but I am new…VERY new to modular and only have a few devices as I am still learning (mother32, and a few misc filters all in a Mantis case). I have someone willing to give me a SSP for a MacBook I have so it is a VERY good deal but is this something I should get only have a few devices and being new to this world? Any benefit over just purchasing more individual modules?

The fact of the matter is only you know what will work for you and your workflow/vision. Generally speaking the SSP is going to save you more money in the long run. For example, if you buy a “high quality” dual VCA like Tallin from Xaoc Devices you’ll pay around $189 but one VCA module in the SSP has 4 VCAs and you can add as many as you want. Add as many filters, wavetable oscillators etc. as you can dream of. That alone is saving you plenty of money. Patching is different since it is all virtual but the concept is essentially the same as physical patching. There’s the benefit of making a patch, saving it, working on a different patch then coming back to the previous patch and making changes since you can’t do that with physical modules without unpatching something. I plug in my MIDI controller to the SSP and pull up one of my templates or go back to an older patch and switch out samples or LFOs (Oscillators since there’s no standard oscillators). You’ll have to invest some time with the SSP to get into the workflow and system of using the module but once you do it is very rewarding. There’s also a repository here full of stock patches ready to go. I’d recommend the SSP to just about anyone. Yes it’s a big investment but so is buying multiple modules at $200 - $500 each.

3 Likes

Thanks, I just got a used one (posted on SSP setup photo). Just tying to figure out if I really need the mother32 still or I should sell and get something different.