Time for the next SSP update: this one concentrates on updating the VST support and the SSP SDK to version v2.0, as well as making it easier to work with VST plugins. The update also includes a new version of the QVCA plugin which is the example plugin from the SSP SDK.
This update is also important to support other developers who are in the process of making plugins for the SSP, such as @thetechnobear! This release coincides with no less than THREE new VST releases by @thetechnobear:
His recent work of porting over Mutable Instruments’ Clouds and Rings to the SSP as VST plugins is really impressive and these latest versions taking advantage of the new v2.0 SSP SDK features are even better. Get the latest version of his plugins, taking advantage of the new SDK, using the above links.
List of fixes and improvements:
The VST module has been removed from the module picker and it is no longer necessary to first insert a VST module and then load a VST plugin in the module. You can now simply insert VST plugins directly from the module picker.
VST presets using the VST module will automatically be updated when they are loaded, and fixed, so they continue working with no changes necessary, or minimal changes.
VST plugins save their state automatically inside SSP presets. This replaces the support for choosing VST plugin “programs” which is now obsolete.
The module picker module names are now sorted alphabetically and are listed from left to right. The module picker automatically adjusts based on how many VST plugins are found at startup.
Inputs and outputs of the VST plugins now show input and output channel names and the number of inputs and outputs automatically adjust based on how many channels the plugin has.
Fixed bug where inputs/outputs needed to be re-enabled when re-inserting the same type of module in a cell in the patching matrix.
Fixed a bug where the software would crash when playback in the recorder stops, while the user is one of the other screens.
The SSP SDK has been updated to v2.0. You can find the code at https://github.com/percussa/ssp-sdk
- New documentation added in the source code to help with development
- Support for loading/saving plugin state
- New input/output enable/disable messages are now sent to plugins when inputs and outputs are enabled/disabled in the SSP’s host software
- Encoder left/right pulse messages are now directly passed to plugins without any kind of processing enabling the developer to implement whatever acceleration or smoothing scheme required.
- Parameter values are now strictly in the range 0.0 … 1.0 which helps with debugging and testing plugins in other VST hosts during development.
Example QVCA plugin has been updated:
- jucer project and dependencies updated
- code simplified and improved and extra documentation in code added
- fixed bug with qvca getting stuck and not allowing you to change menus anymore, when it’s not patched to any other module
- fixed qvca graphics so they are shown even if there are no input or output signals
That’s it for now. We hope you enjoy this update and look forward to the next one. Stay safe and healthy!