all quiet there, but in the background I’m beavering away at SSP related things…
the main things done, is to ‘modernise’ my build tools/libs
- major refactoring of code to move to the latest juce
- I/ve changed my entire toolchain to cmake/clang
at this point, I was experimenting with my new framework for the plugins…
but something else happened…
I got a new Mac Mini (using the new Apple Silicon!)
this has meant updating my entire development environment for SSP plugins - a task that took a while, since alot of tools are in thier infancy for Apple Silicon.
Fortunately, my move to the latest tools meant that I could get latest updates required for Apple Silicon.
now the good news, the result of that effort…
development build (to run on mac)
I can build ALL (8) of my plugins in less that ONE (!) minute,
it used to take about this for ONE plugin
build of SSP plugins
I used to have to compile for the SSP under a VM (running debian) using emulation (qemu)
this was really painfully slow, it could take around 30+(actually probably more !) minutes to compile everything - fortunately, I didnt always have to build ALL, but still compiles were usually 4-6 minutes.
NOW … I cross-compile natively on the mac mini, no messing with VMs or emulations.
so I can build everything in … yup ONE minute… thats a full fresh compile, normal ‘dev cycles’ changes, compile in a few seconds.
its awesome !!!
(there are some bit still missing, e.g. CLion Im running under Rosetta, but thats not really an issue)
so this did take a while, but the benefits are huge.
now I need to get back to the framework refactoring, Im starting with CLDS as the ‘experiment’… once I have the framework as I want it, then I’ll update all the other VSTs to use the new approach… then look at some new VST ideas