Step Sequencer

say I have a 16 step seq with several cv programmed, but some are 0 and on these I would like to disable the gate of the step aswell.
is it possible to have the gates set or disabled separately , would be great

is quantizing possible ?

2 Likes

see also the manual page / discussion here -

yes, you can do this by changing the step levels of the step sequencer.

you can’t disable the gates on zero steps at the moment, but we have plans to split up the output so you have a gate and level output, and then at the same time we can figure out how to turn the gate on/off for individual steps. Perhaps using the push-function of the encoders.

I just added a description about the step sequencer here

2 Likes

One of my favorite features from the old Arp Sequencer was the gate bus; each step had a 3 position switch, which could be set to Gate Bus 1, off, or Gate Bus 2. This allowed rhythmic programming with two separate gate outputs. That might be overkill for the SSP’s step sequencer, but having one gate bus that allowed on or off for each step would be important.

1 Like

yes, the way i’m thinking of doing it, is change the step sequencer so it has a step value output but also a gate output. you can turn the gate on/off per step using the encoders, by pushing them. you turn the encoders to change step value and left/right cursor keys are used to browse through the segments of the step sequence (like it is at the moment).

alternatively one of the group of 8 soft keys could be used to turn gate on or off. but the encoders make more sense since you already use them for step values.

4 Likes

… I think the softkey push or not is much faster if first setting gates then adjust used encoders and if you change your mind refering a different set of gates would be independent of the encoders fast again, to my opinion or preference

1 Like

Using the encoder sounds very logical; turn for value and push for gate on/off, I like it. The 8 soft keys could be used for selecting the windowing of the sequence perhaps?

First push of a soft key selects the start, the 8 buttons divide the sequence (whether the length be 8, 16, 32, etc) by 8, so soft key 1 is the beginning, soft 2 is 12.5% of the total length, 3 is 25%, etc. The second soft key push selects the window end location, in the same manner. If soft key push 2 is sequentially earlier than soft key push one (so the end is earlier the the beginning) the sequencer reverses direction. Changes to windowing should probably be synced till sequence end.

1 Like

one disadvantage of using the encoder push to turn gate on/off is that you might accidentally turn the encoder a bit while pushing. So that changes the step value slightly. If you want to work really fast then the 8 soft keys are the preferred way of turning gate on/off although I do get that pushing the encoder is more “logical”.

isn’t that done better with a “start” parameter of the step sequencer which you change with an encoder? there is already a length parameter that you can change using an encoder.

Having a start and end parameter that could be controlled by an encoder and/or external CV would be fine. And yes, you’re right they should sync to “start”!

I suggested the soft keys percentage control thing as it seemed like a great performance control. I could set something like that up w/ ext. CV, but if the soft keys for a module aren’t needed for another function, having some sort of performance control built-in is always good.

1 Like

is this topic related or not?