Starter Tutorial for Percussa SSP

H All,

I put this basic starter tutorial together for people new to the Percussa SSP, as I thought it might be helpful. Can’t upload here (re 4 Mb limit) - it’s 17 Mb so I’ve put it on my cloud store - link below.
This the word version.

finally the pdf …

making pdf a zip …

5 Likes

cool initiative :slight_smile:

some thoughts, suggestions…

• I’d publish it as a PDF, at not all will have MS Word

• p2 - your modules browser includes my modules (which is cool), but you may want to include a link to forum or something to get them… as otherwise new users, might be confused why they dont have the same modules as you.

• p4 - enabling inputs, Id talk about having to enable inputs a little… as its something that catch newbies out… also you can mention it’ll show number of connections - since this is a great way to know if you accidentally connected something to the wrong input!

• p3 connection overview …its really 3 stages.
    a) bind/associate 2 modules
    b) enable input on target module
    c) connect output to input
    its worth making this clear as, (b) is the one that gets forgotten.

• you might want to reference which version of the image/synthor is installed,
    just in case, new user has an SSP that has not been updated, so could look different to your pictures.

2 Likes

Hi All - many thanks for input. Not been ignoring things - just happened to have been away from computers for a quite bit - back next week - so will follow up any suggestions etc. then.

2 Likes

great! i recommend you put it on youtube as well so more people can find it.

Hi Riggar, Hi Technobear;
I just picked up my SSP . Got it mounted and turned on for first time last-night. Got to the equivalent of “Hello World” using Riggar’s “Starter tutorial” and got an LFO sinewave on out1 to my headphones.

Im having a little trouble with a section Technobear outlined:

I understand the process conceptually, but I’m a little lost with the actual button pressing sequence. On trying to connect the second LFO to out1 (right?) I realize I just lucked out the first time. I don’t suppose one of you could spell out the steps for me? I have the four LFOs defined and Out1 on my network display. The interconnects are eluding me…Victor

have you seen my video… I quickly walk-through the process in it.

as I get, this question alot… Ive just created a bit of a ‘walk-through’ for the patching example I feature in this video.

note: as Im quick in this video, you can slow it down in YouTube… and pause it to follow thru my text.

PLEASE do this walkthrough watching video in conjunction with reading wiki walk thru.
ideally, also follow thru the example on your SSP!

once you learn this process WELL, you will become very quick, and also be able to troubleshoot patches… but it needs you to be methodical and take your time at the beginning.
well worth the time if you want to enjoy the SSP!

once you’ve done this… lets jump back to your example

a) add LFO (in slot1)
b) add OUT (in slot2)
c) bind LFO
select LFO, slot 1, left shift + button 2
d) connect LFO out to OUT inputs
left side shows all possible connections
if you don’t see any, then you didn’t do bind!

format is output signal : module to send too : input of module receiving
Out : OUT : in1
Out : OUT : in2

e) enable inputs on OUT
select OUT
on left side
click on In1, it’ll invert background, and you’ll see brackets go from 0 to 1.
click on In2, it’ll invert background, and you’ll see brackets go from 0 to 1.

if they did not go from 0 to 1, either they are
not enable (this step - so click!)
not connected (see step d)

not bound… this should not be the case, unless you unbound, since to connect you needed the binding.

I know this sounds a lot, but reality (as you’ll see in my video) you can get VERY fast at it.
basically, by optimising these steps… particularly reversing step d and e, or ‘pre-enabling’ inputs.
BUT it’s important you get used to the above SLOWLY, you need to be METHODICAL.
you won’t be fast, if you try to be skip steps and then spend 5 minutes trying to work out what you missed.

however, with experience, you’ll get better and keeping mental overview of a patch in your head, start doing things in different orders to ‘optimise’ workflow, and importantly you’ll know how to troubleshoot in case you ‘forget’ a step.

so my process is similar to how I patch in hardware (eurorack)
I’ll add the modules I need in my rack, and as I add them, I’ll enable the inputs Im planning on using and likely bind them too. ( as I add in order of source to destination, roughly)
then I’ll go around connecting from source to destination.

BUT this is ‘error prone’ as its easy to forget something… or change plans as I go along :laughing:
so its important that once patched, I can check signals are doing as expected…
(I use the scopes and sometimes DATA for more advanced diagnostics)
just like patching in eurorack, you ‘follow the wires’ :wink:

so yeah… it takes practice!

I really do want to create some videos.
honestly, I want to go beyond the usual… this is how to create a (boring) subtractive synth.
but coming up with the ideas, then the actual filming and editing is very time consuming.
we’ll see… perhaps in the future !