Sampler Module

The sampler allows you to load up to 8 samples in 8 different slots. Each of the slots can be triggered using a gate input. The sampler has 8 seperate gate inputs. The sound from each slot is output using an output, so the sampler has 8 different output channels.

You can also loop the 8 samples using the (loop) setting. Looping works across all 8 samples, there is no seperate loop setting for each slot at the moment.

Per default there are already a list of samples available in the samples directory on the SD card. Of course, you can also add your own samples to the samples directory on the SD card.

Sampler Parameters and Settings

• Pitch: input which follows the 1v/oct standard. Typically used with e.g. the MIDI module pitch output.

• Gate1-8: typical gate input to trigger samples.

• Amp: used to amplitude-modulate the output signal of the sampler. You can apply any modulation signal to this, for example from an envelope or LFO. Amplitude modulation is applied to all output signals simultaneously.

• Sel: scroll through the list of samples using the 1st encoder.

• TuneC Tune Coarse can be used to set the original pitch the sound was recorded at. For example, if you recorded a piano and played the A4=440Hz key, and recorded that, you would set this setting to 440Hz. The sampler uses this setting to play back the sample at the correct pitch when you send it a pitch signal.

• TuneF Tune Fine can be used to set the original pitch the sound was recorded at

• Start: choose the start of sample playback. Works across all 8 slots at the same time.

• Lgth: choose the length of sample playback. Works across all 8 slots at the same time.

• CalA1/2: Pitch calibration input. You normally don’t need to use this since the modules are already configured for standard 1v/oct signals. If you want to use it, apply a pitch signal to the pitch input, for example from a CV keyboard, press the A key in an octave on your keyboard and press this button. Then press the A one octave up and press CalA2. The sampler will then know what the voltage difference is and use that to figure out how to correctly track the keyboard. This feature also appears in other modules.

• CalRs: Resets the above calibration data to the default.

• Auto: If this setting is on, the sampler will not track any pitch or frequency signals applied to its inputs. Turn this off to make sure the sample will track those signals.

• Loop: Loops the 8 sample slots (works across all sample slots).

• Load: to load a sample click “Load”. Each time you click “load” the selected sample will be loaded and added to the current slot. Alternatively you can use encoder 1 to load a sample.

• View: Steps through the sample slots showing you what is loaded in each of them. If you want to load a sample in a specific slot, use this button to navigate to the slot and then use the LOAD button to load the sample into the slot.

Sampler Inputs/Outputs

The sampler module has 8 gate inputs, which means you can trigger each of the individual slots in the sampler using a gate input. The input is a trigger input, meaning that it only cares about the signal crossing a certain threshold, and doesn’t care of the signal falls after that. If you want to “gate” the sampler, to momentarily turn its output on and off, you can use the amplitude modulation input.

Besides 8 gate inputs, the sampler has the following other inputs:

• SAM: Pitch
  • SAM: Start
  • SAM: Length
  • SAM: Amp
  • SAM: Freq

The sampler has 8 outputs.

Example

Step Seq => Sampler => Output

Load 2 samples into sample slots 0 and 1. Trigger the first 2 gate inputs of the sampler using the 2 gate outputs of the step seq, while the step value output of the step sequencer can be used to change the pitch of the sampler. The resulting signal is sent to the output. The 2 signals sent from the sampler to the output module are automatically summed because they are sent to the same input.

Enable Inputs               Enable Outputs

Step Seq                       /                           Gate1: SAM: Gate1
                                                            Gate2: SAM: Gate2
                                                            Out: SAM: Pitch    

Sampler                        SAM: Pitch                  Out1: Out:In
                                SAM: Gate1                  Out2: Out:In 
                                SAM: Gate2

Output                        Out:In                      /

Note: Don’t forget to disable “auto” in the sampler, otherwise the pitch signal applied to the pitch input of the sampler will be ignored by the sampler.

4 Likes

You say each level of a gate signal
to my understanding that’s not the correct definition of a gate signal ! a gate signal per def has a dedicated level ( look what levels most modules accept) but the variating parameter of a gate is time/duration

Remark: I think you software designers partially approach the modular world with another angle than heavy users , thru our discussion everybody will learn; I got the impression you are not used to it too much ( tell me if this is wrong).
To know what’s going on I had to learn thru playing with modular at least a year! if not more
Maybe to some extent is it the reason of some initial misunderstanding
I hope we get to a fair solution thru discussion and believe me I probably never ! will be able to program a software modul, or as you suggested to s.o. to write his own software … jokin … working together
Would be great your sit once in a while together with people that are masters of modular, which by far, I’m not Thanks :pray:t5:

Thanks for your feedback! At the moment we’re deep in our code, working on the first update which we hope to post the upcoming weekend.

1 Like

Celine, these manuals you are doing are going to be very helpful, thanks for listening.

1 Like

i am also wresting with the varying gate concept but i think we made clear our difficulties with @bert and he’s thinking about a solution

yep, working on it! more news later.

I find it very confusing which slot i am loading to when pressing load button. The reason is that if i press view to scroll through the slots and say I end up on slot 4, if i now load a sample it will be loaded to slot 5. This makes no sense to me.
It would also be great to remove the view button and replace View with <------ and the next empty button ----->. This would allow scrolling in both directions, since it is annoying if by mistake you scroll to slot 5 when you wanted to be at slot 4, and now you have to go over all the slots to go back to slot 4.

in the upcoming update (hopefully done this weekend) view has been replaced with next/prev buttons. Loading a sample does not go to the next slot automatically anymore. There is also a clear button to clear a slot which also does not go to the next slot automatically. And there will be an audition button as well.

So if you now want to go to the next or previous slot, you just use the next/prev buttons. None of the other buttons change slot number.

As soon as I’m done I’ll post the update.

@bert These sound like good adjustments to the logical operation of this module and more akin to a traditional sampler IMHO.

As long as your under the hood this weekend would it be possible to add the Sampler Parameters and Settings for each individual layer (sample) in this unit? This way you wouldn’t have to load up 8 different sampler modules to have 8 different pitches, start times, volumes, etc…

Or, would this just be an entirely different module/unit? :thinking:

having seperate pitch, start, length, frequency and potentially other upcoming inputs for the sampler duplicated for each slot on the same module will blow up the list of inputs. So the better solution is that if you need seperate control over the different sampler slots, to just use multiple sampler modules.

I am posting the update soon, I’m testing it at the moment. I suggest you play with it first and read the update info and then we can take it from there.

@bert Understood, just thought that I’d ask… Standing by for the update :grin::+1:

just posted it - keep in mind the manual page for the sampler here on the forum still has to be updated to reflect what is written in the update notes.

1 Like