RNGS : Resonator, by TheTechnobear

Rngs release - please use this topic for any questions/issues and tips for other users.

This is free for everyone, and once I get sorted out, I’ll release the code as open source.
If you can afford a donation to my ko-fi account that would be great, and encourage me to develop more SSP VSTs :wink:

Have fun patching…

Mark

note: Ive included instructions in the zip file, but this topic may include more up to date information.

Rngs : Resonator

rngs - an implementation of Mutable Instrument Rings for the Percussa SSP.

Change Log

1.2.0 updated for new SSP firmware

• requires new ssp firmware for vst sdk 2 !
  • auto detection of audio/strum/voct
  • mono compatibility
  • ssp preset now stores/loads vst parameters
  • pitch is now bipolar from 0.0f
  • clicking encoder resets values

note: you will loose presets, as these are now stored in the SSP preset

1.1.0 internal release only - code cleanup
1.0.1 fix model persistence, add input gain, code re-org
1.0.0 Initial Release

Developer: TheTechnobear

I develop these plugins for free, please consider supporting my efforts with a donation.

Download : rngs.zip (1.9 MB)

important note: this requires the LATEST SSP firmware (26 Aug 2020)

Installation

copy the plugins/*.so to sdcard /plugins

Optional Installation

you may want to copy and rename the demo presets contained in /presets
you may now remove /plugins.preset folder on SSP sdcard as its no longer used

General Usage

The best source of information about this module is the Mutable Instruments Rings manual
https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/rings/manual/

This document is based on the LATEST version of the plugin

Differences

Generally, I’ve tried to make as close as possible to the hardware modules.

Pitch & Frequency are synonymous in this context. Rings actually uses pitches internally not frequency :wink:
Excitation choice - see below
Models, I use a number to represent the models, 0,1,2 are the ‘normal’ modes, 3,4,5 are alternative modes.

added In Gain, this allows the input signal to be amplified, 0 = no gain (1x), up to 1.0 = 17x

Excitation source

as with the Mutable Rings module the VST will detect which input you are using to ‘excite’ rings.

tips/typical use for which input to use:
STRUM = for non-pitched excitation, or pitched where you just want the pitch encoder to be used.
STRUM + V/OCT = or pitched excitation
AUDIO + V/OCT = use external excitation, and pitch the resonator

Outputs

Outputs are ODD and EVEN, not stereo pairs, and their ‘usage’ changes depending on ‘poly’ (as detailed in the manual).
However, there is alot of fun to be had panning these in varying degrees.

note: like MI Module - if you only patch the ODD output, then ODD and EVEN are summed evenly.

Tips

I highly recommend exciting Rngs with an external audio source (NOI/WTO/LFO), you can get all sorts of interesting sounds, that are not possible with internal exciter

I only recommend using at 48Khz sample rate, as this is how the Rings code is designed.
Using at other sample rates will lead to incorrect pitch, and possible other oddities.
( the only solution would be downsample/upsampling but this is sub-optimal on a platform such as the SSP)

Credits:

Percussa SSP - https://www.percussa.com/

Mutable Instruments : https://www.mutable.com/
Thanks to Emilie for sharing her code with the community.
please note: this VST in no way endorsed or supported by Mutable Instruments.

Archive Download : rngs.zip (1.9 MB) (for old SSP firmware only)

8 Likes

Cheers for great work, couple of Coffee’s sorted, keep you awake on your next SSP VST he he

3 Likes

This is awesome your the man. I’m trying to pay you but it’s having troubling connecting to this site.

2 Likes

I keep getting “error host is down” or something along those lines. I’m guessing it’ll come back online later.

2 Likes

Thanks @Martin

@FuzzedOut , @benlewis2017 - sorry, technical problems, appears to be back up now.

Just upon quick glance, if I instantiate multiple RNGs they seem to have the same naming as far as routing is concerned, is this correct or am I missing something?

This is true of all ssp modules.
Like other modules, usually this is only an issue if you want to route from one object ( eg midi) to multiple rngs, you can use the BUS objects.

I believe the following topic illustrates this.

Yep working now.

Thanks again

1 Like

Ahh yes, haven’t had this powered on in a while and forgot about that situation. Using multiple INs to solve that issue. Thanks for the reminder. Great port BTW. I did manage to crash it, but that isn’t so unusual for the SSP.

2 Likes

I’ve not had it crash…
If you can provide steps to reproduce, I can take a look and see if it’s within my vst or a broader problem.

I did have a scenario where after adding a second module one of the other ssp modules (svf) stopped producing sound… I saved the preset and reloaded, and it started working - so I was a bit unclear where the problem was.

Note: I’ve only had the SSP for about a week so I’m not that familiar with any quirks that occur during patching - it’s generally been reliable for me so far :slight_smile:

Rngs is very impressive. Thank you for your development.

I report that there is one bug.
Preset storage (WriPr) within Rngs saves all parameter values well. However, only ‘Model’ parameter is not saved.

When I turn off SSP and turn it on again, the value of Model parameter is always reset to zero.

I’d appreciate it if you could take a look at this.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Oops, easy to miss a parameter when doing this :slight_smile:

I’ve fixed in dev - once tested I’ll release an update and post here.

4 Likes

Thank you for accepting my feedback!

1 Like

Thanks heaps! Beautiful work. A double espresso extra strong is on your way. To keep you awake on those long nights coding away :smile:

2 Likes

released 1.0.1

new feature: add input gain
bug fix: model was not being persisted

under the covers I’ve also changed the code around quite a bit, reflecting changes I’ve made to support clouds.
in particular, Im now using the latest version of rings code from MI - however, these should not have any noticeable effect.

4 Likes

release 1.2.0

new features, and updated for the new SSP firmware

3 Likes