Recorder Menu

<–go to overview manual

You can record all the inputs and/or outputs of the SSP at 192kHz, 96kHz or 48kHz at 32 bit. The recordings are stored as multichannel WAV files on the SD Card. The SSP does not care whether a signal is an audio signal, CV or gate, so you can record whatever you want from your eurorack system into the SSP.

You can switch between the input/output recorders using “SwRec”. You browse through channels using the up/down keys and use the Arm key to choose which channels you want to record. With Mon you can enable monitoring, and with MOut1-8 (second page) you can choose what output channel to monitor to for the currently selected input channel. Similarly, after recording you can use the Play button to audition the recording, and POut1-8 (third page) can be used to choose to which output channel to play back the currently selected recorded channel.

Watching a video is easier to understand how this works, check out the latest video where we show the Multitrack Recorder in the SSP works. In the video we hooked up an intellijel planar joystick, 3 Make Noise STOs, 2 Erica Synths Black VCOs, and 1 Intellijel Dixie II to create a 16 channel track.

Some basic getting started info about the recorder:

In the recorder, there is an input and an output recorder. You can start each of them seperately using the RecO and RecI buttons. They are toggle buttons, so to stop the recording, press RecO or RecI again. Output recorder can record the outgoing sound of the SSP, while the input recorder records the incoming sound (input jacks).

Make sure that if you start the output or input recorder, you do not turn off your SSP while it is still recording. Doing so might corrupt your SD flash card.

You can switch between the input and output recorder using SwRec. The recorder screen will show a channel monitoring scope on the left for the current channel you are looking at. Use the up/down keys to browse the channels.

When you want to prepare a recording you first need to ARM the channels you want to record. You use the ARM key for that. Go through the channels and arm the ones you want to record. You can record up to 16 channels with the input recorder and 8 channels with the output recorder. Both recorders can run simultaneously and record to multichannel WAV files on disk. The recorder works at all 3 samples rates (48/96/192). At the moment the recorder also records simultaneously to internal memory buffers, such that when you stop the recording you have a file on disk but the file is also in memory ready for editing. The input and output recorder’s buffer is limited to 256MB at the moment but we are looking at how we can work exclusively on disk with the recordings such that this limitation can be removed.

The input recorder has a monitoring feature to monitor incoming signals. You can enable this using the MON key. But before doing so you have to configure per channel, to which output jack you want to monitor. You do this using the MON1-8 keys and you can set this for each of the channels (for example if you want to monitor all 16 inputs to jacks 1-2 you can enable MON1-2 for all those channels). The output recorder does not have this monitoring feature.

As an example, let’s say you armed and recorded 3 channels using the input recorder. After stopping recording you will see that you can browse through the 3 channels using the up/down keys. You can now audition the recording using the PLAY button. But before doing that you have to configure which output jacks to send the channels to for playback. You do that using the POUT1-8 keys which again can be set/disabled per channel. So for example, you can set the first recorded channel to play out of jack #1, while the other two channels can be played back out of jack #2.

The recorder has file related functions and editing related functions on additional pages. Use the left/right cursor keys to explore the different functions.

As always if you have any questions post them here and we’ll get back to you ASAP.

Is it possible to loop playback, or trigger playback with a gate?

no, I think its main design is as a recording tool…
with some (limited) editing capabilities e.g. things like crop.
I think the play function on it, is mostly for that editing/review type process.

once you have recording as you like, then you can load the recording into SAM or GRA for using within the modular environment. (*)

at least thats how I’ve used it…

(*) you can of course, also use live input into the granular … but thats kind of different again

Do you think it would be possible to build a VST to sort of ‘live loop’ CV signals? I’m just wondering if you think it’s possible. I’m considering building it myself, although it would be a major challenge.

yeah, anything is possible … just needs dev time !

I already some ideas and plans in this area :wink:
I can’t really say anything more at the moment, as I have a lot of stuff that is currently in development/unreleased, that will be ‘revealed’ at Superbooth !

anyway, sorry to be vague, but I tend not to like to commit to things in advance…I’m doing this in my own free time, and not for $… so I don’t like to build expectations. rather provide nice surprises !

as for recording/looping cv vs audio - indeed, I always try to make modules work with both…
sometimes, this means I add options to cope the subtle differences required.
e.g. MSW8 has a soft switch option, which generally would only be used for audio.

(*) this is kind of a common thing with audio, you often want to put fades of some sort on it, to avoid audio glitches due to discontinuities in waveforms … but usually you do not want this on CV.
but fortunately, for the most part, CV/audio handling in dsp is similar.

2 Likes