Reassurance Requested for a New SSP Build

Hello there! I’m new to the forum. Here’s a bit of background:

I used to have an ER-301 and Teletype, but at the time didn’t have the skills or time to learn how to properly utilize them so I sold all my modular gear. I’ve learned a ton since then and have been exploring a teletype set up when I found motoko’s SSP / teletype series and loved what I heard. I was fantasizing about designing some “integration module” that combined all of the data types of CV, audio levels, midi, and USB data in a big input output matrix where I could control and route signals using CV, midi, or audio. I just wanted some glue, hub, brain, power to plug everything into. I looked up the SSP and learned it was exactly the kind of integration module I was looking for, along with all of the other stuff it does. I spent the day yesterday scouring the forums learning what I could. I’ve also for many years now wanted to design my own audio hardware/software, so the VST programming is of great interest to me as well.

I’d appreciate some reassurance that the SSP can do what I think it can do. Maybe my experience can help other new comers.

1. I have Windows 10, Ableton 11, Reason 11, an SSL2+ audio interface, a Synthstrom Deluge, a Soma Pulsar-23, and some other stuff. My primary goal is to route all the data and audio through the SSP and control the SSP and Pulsar using the Deluge. I’d like to have these 3 devices integrated together as a single stand-alone “instrument” for DAWless playing around. My secondary goal is to send audio, midi, and CV data out of Ableton into SSP and route it however I want, hopefully to integrate the 3 devices into Ableton for DAW production purposes. I’d plan to sell all the other external devices and gizmos I have and focus on these three machines.

2. CV. Pulsar outputs 0-10V, Deluge outputs 5V gates or up to 12V gates with adjustable voltages for the CV outs in the settings. Am I going to damage anything if I send a 10V or 12V gate to an SSP input that does -5 to +5V? I understand I’ll need to attenuate the input for appropriate CV control.

3. Midi into SSP. I’d like to tempo sync everything to the Deluge. I found a forum post from wavejockey describing how the tempo varies from 118.10 to 118.18 or something
    and I’ve had a similar problem when trying to use the Deluge as a master clock with Ableton. Deluge can also output a CV run/stop gate and CV clock tempo. I know the SSP can take USB over midi on the middle USB input.

I found these posts! I tested the Deluge with Ableton, was able to send sequences and cc controls for channels 1 and 2 to two different synths on Ableton and route things appropriately using midi over USB to Ableton. I was able to simultaneously send additional commands over a 3rd channel via DIN to the pulsar to sync, trigger, and control things. If I replace Ableton in this example with SSP, I think I’d need to have a
separate midi module for each channel, so it’d be 2 modules set to listen to channel 1 and 2, then I’d be able to route note and CC information inside of SSP to other modules? Deluge is USB MIDI class compliant, and it requires 500mA to charge it, so the SSP can source 500mA through its USB port to charge it.

Does this all sound correct?
Can I clock SSP using CV clock input?
Can I use the SSP as the main clock for midi / CV clock? I think that’s a yes.
Can I send midi sequences from the SSP into the Deluge via USB? I’m pretty sure that’s a yes, I’ve done this with ableton.
Can I send midi sequences from the SSP into the Deluge via USB and out the DIN 5 pin to sequence the pulsar? I’m pretty sure that’s a yes, I’ve done this with ableton.

1. Appropriate Case and Power Supply. Looks like the Pod64x has a 55mm depth, 1.4A for +12V, 0.67A for -12V, and 1.0A for +5V. If I power the Deluge through the SSP and it draws a max of 500mA at +9~+12V additionally to the SSP current draw of 100ma +12v, 200ma -12v, would I be hitting the limit of 500 + 1000 = 1500mA for the Pod.
    Probably should get a bigger case/supply for the future. SSP 60hp, a Maths is 20hp, I’ve got another thing that’s 38hp, 118hp ish, two rows of 84hp?
    I’ll take another look around at cases.

2. VST Programming. What cables would I need for programming / flashing VSTs onto the SSP? I saw these threads:
    TheTechnobear's VSTs development
    How to build modules (VST plugins) for the SSP
    LAN Port?
    I’ll need to go through them more in detail before I have any specific questions about the software environment set up.
    Is there an easy way to create a backup for my data so whenever I inevitably break something while programming I could reflash the SSP to a previous version and not be worried about breaking anything beyond repair?
    Whenever I start tinkering with the code, is that going to void my warrantee / support?

3. Forum seems small, dedicated, quiet, just wondering if I’m coming in late to the party? A lot of the posts I’ve looked up are from 2 years ago. Is the SSP still being supported by Percussa? Plans to continue supporting it in the future?
    https://www.percussa.com/manuals/ssp-manual/manualSSP.pdf
    Just found a quick start manual with a date of 2018, there seems to be talk of a percussa wiki but I’m not sure how to find it.

To get set up I think I’d need:
1x USB cable for SSP to Laptop
1x USB data and power cable for Deluge to SSP (but I think I already have this since I can charge the Deluge and control Ableton via USB?)
1x eurorack case and appropriately large power supply
1x SSP
1x 2 to 1 headphone audio cable for headphone listening? Maybe a 2hp ALM headphones out module would be better, gives me that volume knob for the accidental screeching feedback.
1x USB-ethernet dongle: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00484IEJS

Reassurance is appreciated, have I thought things through? Anything else I should consider? Thanks for the help! Excited to have found this device, it’s like a dream come true.

first, have you checked out my recent video, that gives I think a pretty good overview…

lots of questions… I’ll try to cover, but given the number, I may miss, so just ask for clarification…

as you can see from above video, Im happily using the SSP - so whilst there are ‘details’ and things to be aware of - for me, Ive always found a way to make it work.

btw: though I post alot here, and like to help - Im just another user, I have no connection to Percussa.
so these are a users view/response/

0. Integrating Windows 10, Ableton 11, Reason 11, an SSL2+ audio interface, a Synthstrom Deluge, a Soma Pulsar-23

ok, this is a big topic… and there are many ways to do this.
Ableton supports CV well, with CVTools, and the SSP acts as an audio interface for this purpose, you also have midi etc.

some things to consider
cv from a computer always has latency based on audio buffers size, but has much less jitter than midi.

windows (unlike mac/linux) is not very good at handling multiple audio interfaces.
does you SSL2+ support DC coupled audio (aka cv), if so perhaps you dont need to use the SSP as an audio interface.
its solveable, but something to consider - but I dont really use my windows machines for music making much… so not something ive spent much time with.

Reason I dont think supports CV natively, however there are extensions that do support it - ive not used them.

connecting to a computer
bare in mind the USB DEVICE which connects to you computer is for audio interace (so cv/audio), it currenly does NOT support MIDI
midi usb is over the USB HOST port, so you cannot connect directly to a computer (which is also a usb host) - there are a few ways around this, if required.

1. CV. Pulsar outputs 0-10V, Deluge outputs 5V gates or up to 12V gates with adjustable voltages for the CV outs in the settings

no danger, SSP will just clip voltages
generally, -/+5v is pretty common in eurorack - so its not really an issue (e.g. most will accept 5v as a gate) -

2. Midi into SSP. I’d like to tempo sync everything to the Deluge.

this should be possible.
clock variation is ‘a thing’ when you to tempo estimation , and is very common when you use a DAW since PCs to not prioritise usb serial communication… hence why people use things like hardware midi clocks.

honestly, whilst its easy to say ‘it should just work’ , in practice is not that easy as midi clock is not an ideal protocol - go search any forum about any sequencer (or daw) and you will find someone complaining about sync issues :wink:
I wrote alot on this subject in the past,including strategies to help - so Id point you to that, for me, they seem to work.

I also want to do some tests to see if I can come up with a better midi clock, but I cannot say when this will happen… its just ‘on my list’

3 clock questions

Can I clock SSP using CV clock input? - yes

Can I use the SSP as the main clock for midi / CV clock? I think that’s a yes.
cv - yes

midi - not currently, as there is no way to output midi clock
when I work on clock (see above), I may support this.

Can I send midi sequences from the SSP into the Deluge via USB? I’m pretty sure that’s a yes, I’ve done this with ableton
Ive just released a new midi output module which should allow this (MTOT)

Can I send midi sequences from the SSP into the Deluge via USB and out the DIN 5 pin to sequence the pulsar? I’m pretty sure that’s a yes, I’ve done this with ableton.
not sure I understand, how this differes from above… sounds like its more a deluge question?!

also please note my answers about USB Midi to computer (usb host vs usb device) above

4 Appropriate Case and Power Supply.

check power and hp requirements - apart from that its personal preference.
I really like my Pod64x with SSP…
the SSP generates quite a bit of heat, so I let the extra 4hp be used as ‘vent’, which means SSP keeps nice an cool.

I think the SSP is great in a separate case (esp if your doing development) , as it can be used not only with one rack , but also standalone
also when working on patches, its nice to pull it up close to you

however, personal preference.

5 VST Programming.

vsts are just shared libraries. you do not ‘flash’ anything
they are simply copied into the ‘plugins’ directory , in a similar way to the way you do it on a PC.
so there is no need to create backups, you are not going to break anything with a vst.
no it wont void your warranty

if you want to backup, simply use as sdcard copying tool. (search how to backup a rPI)
but its unnecessary.

you do NOT need a network connection, you can copy plugins to plugins folder from your computer with a normal sdcard reader.
however, this means powering down the SSP, removing sdcard, moving to pc, copy file, move back, power up - far from an ideal development workflow.
BUT it IS possible!

so I use a network adapter, so I can use scp to copy over the network, and i login to the ssp via ssh to restart the synthor process to pick up the new plugin

again, Ive talked quite abit about how I develop, so if you read that, you can ask specific questions.

6 Forum seems small, dedicated, quiet,

my experience is single manufacture forums are often pretty quiet… and with a few dedicated users.
also given the price of the SSP, its not a massive user base.
but, I think if you need help - there are people here that will answer your question.

7 setup

1x USB cable for SSP to Laptop
yes, USB-B at SSP for audio interface

1x USB data and power cable for Deluge to SSP (but I think I already have this since I can charge the Deluge and control Ableton via USB?)
yes, if you want to do midi over usb.

note: the SSP is a USB HOST (USB-A) , so the Deluge will be USB Device.
its important to remember this… this is why you cannot connect uSB MIDI directly to a computer, which is also a host.

1x eurorack case and appropriately large power supply
yes, Id not say PSU is particularly large - but for sure if its small the SSP will use most of it :slight_smile:

1x SSP - yup

1x 2 to 1 headphone audio cable for headphone listening?
its not advised to connect headphones to the SSP directly. (impedence issues)
the outputs are designed for modular … not headphones,
also be aware modular outputs are not line level

however, many line level devics (e.g. mixers) will support a ‘PAD’ to accodate hotter signals like the SSP.
you could also attenutate internally within the SSP.

I think that about covers it…

One thing you didnt mention, and I think is important is what are you planning on using the SSP for?
e.g. things like latency, jitter and processing delays , are (argubably) less of an issue in ambient, that a genre than needs extremely tight timing (DnB)

digital and hybrid systems are extremely flexible, but they do have to make some compromises - so as always a matter of the right tool for the job.

e.g.
as I mentioned in my video above, one compromise of all multifuntion modules is the UI space,
dedicated modules , mean knob per functions, no menu diving - but with all multifunction modules you are ‘switching contexts’ , in the SSP case , this is via using different modules.
if you are ‘performance’ oriented, Id hightly recommend a good midi controller - this will allow you to expose a patches important performance parameters to a surface , so that they are ‘always available’

my approach to all of this is to ‘make it work’, there are always imperfection.
but imho, you just have to get creative to find a way to work, or adapt to what you have.

how that happens of course, is totally down to you - how you make music, and what you enjoy.
so its always pretty personal.

hope this helps
enjoy
Mark

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarifications! I really appreciate the response. I checked out your video yesterday and I’m working through the MATTHS videos today. I usually find it best just to dump all the questions right away instead of a lot of smaller posts. After reading your post and listening to the MATTHS videos, I feel like I’m probably overthinking things and the SSP is going to work fine for me.

My main desire is to connect Deluge USB midi to the SSP, Deluge DIN 5pin to pulsar, all the audio from pulsar, SSP, and Deluge through the SSP inputs out to Ableton via USB so that these three devices are integrated together as a single “instrument” where the Deluge is at the head. I plan to do DnB type stuff hopefully. I’ve been channeling my inner Richard Devine trying to extract weird alien rhythms, sequences, and noises.

It’s fine if I can’t control things via Ableton, timing issues are usually not that big of a deal for me. I was planning on getting rid of my audio interface and just using the SSP. The SSL2+ outputs are not DC-coupled.

I’ll look into USB DEVICE vs USB HOST, I think that’s where I get confused. I understand I wouldn’t be able to have the Deluge as the USB Host and run Ableton as the USB host at the same time. The main goal is to have Deluge as the clock source for the devices and the ability to do multi-track audio out from SSP into Ableton.

I agree with timing that “it should just work” as well, I think I’m overthinking things since it’s expensive :slight_smile: thanks again for the help.

CV clock in and out is great news, I can sync all 3 devices via CV clock if midi doesn’t work. I’ll take another look at that MTOT post! If I can send midi from SSP to the Deluge I can forward that from midi USB to midi DIN to the pulsar, great.

I think the Pod64x is great too, but if I’m charging the Deluge at the same time via the SSP, then I’ll push the power supply to the limit unfortunately. I’ll look for something portable and more powerful.

VSTs are just libraries! Sweet, that makes me feel more confident. Sounds like the same process I use to get samples onto the Deluge SD card. So a network adapter lets me SSH directly into the card and copy files into it, yeah that sounds much easier. I’ve used WinSCP before to transfer files between servers and PuTTY as an SSH client. I’ll read through your development threads again.

Deluge has a USB-B to SSP USB-A port, that makes the Deluge a USB Device, and then I won’t be able to use midi USB directly to a computer which is also a host. Ah! These are the same connections as my Deluge to Ableton tinkering which is also a host, perfect, this will work fine for what I’m trying to do. Then I need an SSP USB-B cable to USB-A port for my laptop for audio. Great! Thank you for clarifying the USB types devices and hosts.

I used to attenuate internally in the ER-301 and do headphones out but I found it annoying to deal with, so I’ll probably figure out some sort of headphones output module pick up as well. The goal I had in mind is that I could use all of the midi sequencing capabilities of the Deluge to sequence and control various parameters on the SSP. The Deluge can map CC messages per midi channel to the gold knobs on the top left, giving access to “16 knobs” for a midi track, and more if needed, with all the deluge sequencing magic applied to the midi tracks. Then I could save the preset as a template for interfacing with the SSP.

“Make it work” is exactly the plan! :smiley: I’ll take time to learn the new workflow, my main concern was just the USB midi stuff, but that seems to work just as I hoped it would. Thanks so much!

1 Like

yeah, thats what I kind of do…
though, I use a Squarp Pyramid as my midi clock/sequencer, and this goes to SSP/rest of modular/synths - then audio via ssp into ableton.

a few observations, and things I play with a bit.

a) sometimes I dont want to use a daw!
so in my case the audio from the SSP goes to the Octatrack, which is in that case just acting as a mixer… so I dont have to turn my computer on!

b) DAWs like to be master
I tend to prefer using Ableton to be the master clock when Im using it.
things seem to sync up better (albeit not perfectly)

c) line level inputs into SSP
bare in mind your deluge is line level audio so will be pretty quiet - you can use digital gain, but I think thats not great for signal noise ratio. I bought a couple of Input modules from Ladik which were cheap, and bring my line levels inputs up to modular.

generally id say, I alter my setup slightly, when Im using dawless vs daw centric.
though, that probably is not necessary if you dont need sync in the daw e.g. if its just being used as a ‘tape deck’

sync is always going to be a bit of a pain - really if you want it 100% you’d have to start using things like ERM midiclock, and then start messing with micro delays to account for latency in audio buffers. you also need research how Ableton handles delay compensation… as there are some gotchas there.

as i said, none of this is unique to the SSP, but as soon as you start tie-ing things together with something like the SSP it becomes much more noticable.

have a look at Omri Cohens YT video about linking VCVRack to modular via an ES8/9, its not exactly the same, but I like the video has it highlights the ‘real world problem’ that frankly, most just gloss over.

of course, the alternative (which Im a strong advocate of :wink: ) is try not to get dragged too far down the sync path with all its weeds, do the minimum to get what you need ( * ) - if if that means fixing it in the daw later…

anyway, you probably know, have experience of this already - but I like to mention it, just really to get expectations reasonable

( * ) another issue with ‘perfect sync’ that I found is, you spend hours getting it right… then change one tiny thing, and its all out of whack again…

I have some delay when I use Ableton as a master clock for the Deluge, but I just take the recordings and shift them into time manually. I make sure I can match BPM on the Deluge and Ableton and it syncs up fine with a little nudging. Works fine for my purposes, I don’t need anything too exact. The MATTHs vids sound like it’s in time, so it’s good enough for me. I like sketching on the deluge then moving my sketches over to Ableton to finish and expand upon later. I’ve used a Listen I/O module from 4ms to great effect for bringing in line level signals to eurorack, it’s also got the stereo audio outputs I need for headphones and recording! I’ll look for one again. Pulsar has 4 attenuators on it to turn down voltages going into SSP, but I think I might need some more, and some ways to convert from -5/+5 SSP to 0 to 10V pulsar, which I think Maths works perfectly for both these purposes, plus all the other stuff it does.

1 Like

for gates you probably wont need it…

for pitch, you’d be best to use a module designed for transposition, since this will be an offset module combined with a precision adder.

for modulation, I love my Befaco A*B+C, this is dual, and gives you two options for the conversion
multiply by 2 (as it has up to 2x gain) - so you now have -10 to +10v
offset by 5v, so you have 0 to 10v

ok, for modulation (and gates if needed) , but not suitable for precise pitches, since cannot make it multiply precisely enough. (e.g. fix it to 1:1)

Pitch I tend to find never needs altering, since +/-5v = 10 octaves, and your base pitch value on the oscillator sets the starting position.
that said eurorack has no standards in this area - e.g Mutable Instruments Plaits has v/oct input is -3v to +7v , yet its +/-5v for most other inputs !

Funny story, so through my pulsar studies, if you trigger the drum channels using midi, it doesn’t produces as loud of a signal compared to if you use a 10V gate! I think it’s got something to do with the velocity drum design. This isn’t so much as a problem but an annoyance lol. Yeah that Befaco looks perfect. I’ll look up some similar adders, offsets, attenuverter type modules on modulargrid and take a look around. Majority of the time I’ll probably just need “turn the depth down and turn the offset up” type of solution, but if I can have a precise +5V plus attenuation and offset control that’d be perfect. I got re-excited about the Teletype after realizing that it outputs 0-10V and had 4 triggers and CV outs which is perfect for the pulsar, and I could use all the clock dividers and independent clock inputs per module to make some wild rhythms.

Sigh, I gotta remind myself the goal is to consolidate and study instead of getting a bunch of modular units lol

Thanks again for the help! :slight_smile: Very very appreciated

It sounds as if you could be using the clarifications to make a purchase decision. Should you decide to buy an SSP quickly, as in the next few hours, PerfectCircuit still have them on special as part of their memorial day sale for $1750 instead of the usual $2000 if that helps.

2 Likes

“Sale ends in 27 minutes”

I think I’m going to miss out on this deal hahaha

Thanks for the heads up though! I’m still exploring cases, external modules for integrating other line-level gear, how to buy and if I should purchase these things now or later as I’m in the EU until the end of August when I go back to US.

Looking at the new MI Veils because it has 20db of gain so I can use it as a quad line-level to modular-level converter, or I can do the DC offset CV conversion for pulsar/ssp conversion. I could also patch the 10V pin from the pulsar to the first input and use the normaled outputs of each output as control faders to give the SSP some more knobs. Seemed pretty efficient for 10hp.

Hello,

I just wanted to make some clarification on Windows and using the SSP as a audio interface / audio over USB interface.

You’ll have to use a DAW with WASAPI support, or otherwise you’re left with Asio4All driver in order to connect your SSP to your Windows. But even then, you could run into problems.

I’ve tried Ableton, Reaper, FL Studio and Bitwig, and I’ve tried Asio4All, Asiolink, WASAPI, MME… and a couple more drivers, but I have never had a pop free and click free audio streaming between my Windows and the SSP.

The only solution to my problem was to use Mac. The Core Audio driver does an excellent job.

My windows experience was very bad, I can absolutely not recommend it. I’ve tested the SSP with all DAW’s and all available drivers 3 different computers, all Windows 10, none of it worked as I expected.
I couldn’t stream a sound for more than even 20 seconds without clearly audible pops in the audio.
Even the CV I’ve sent from DAW’s to the SSP started to bug out (LFO sinewaves become glitchy etc).

My advice - get a cheap Mac M1 when you want to integrate DAW and SSP flawlessly. Or maybe also Linux, but I have no idea about that.

But in case you get your setup to run smoothly with Windows, let us know how you do it!

Oh no that’s heartbreaking, all I’ve got is my windows 10 laptop. Were you ever able to simply record audio over USB into any sort of DAW on Windows (without clicks or pops at a standard 24bit 48khz rate?) I’ll try it out and let you know how it goes.

I guess I don’t need to send audio from Windows to SSP, but I’d really want to be able to record if possible. If I can’t send audio I’ll just hook up my SSL2+ interface and pipe the audio and midi in and out of that hopefully.

Edit: I just remembered I could do internal recording and then move all the wav files over to my laptop at a different time, so this isn’t as much of a problem. If they get recorded to the SD card then I could SSH into the SSP and SCP the files over instead of recording them directly to the DAW. The pull factor of this thing is the acronym usage.

1 Like

Roland System 500 Eurorack Case SYR-E84
It’s 84HP, it’s got a lid, it’s metal, it’s available, it’s affordable for me, I can screw two of them together to expand it in the future, 2000mA for the +12V rail so if I get these modules + 500mA to power Deluge = 1612mA at a maximum, that gives me great headroom, portable as well

Mutable Instrument Veils
10HP, can output 8V CV to act as faders for SSP for easier control, can add 0-8V offset to convert the -5/+5 volts from SSP to Pulsar 0-10V, I need more VCAs because I use the only two on the Pulsar, can run line level into Veils and boost +20db (or 30db as it says in the manual but forum people say 20, enough either way), I can run eurorack audio into Veils and attenuate down to line level, I can use it as a mixer or stereo/mono line/euro audio level converter. One thing I don’t think this does is a negative offset, so I don’t think I could bring the 0-10V pulsar CV (and audio operates at 0-10V on pulsar according the to manual, but maybe the mix out takes out the DC component? Might bring it into work and look at it with an oscilloscope or VU meter…) down to -5/+5 input for the SSP, but I don’t think it matters to me. I think the biggest impact would be SNR for audio into SSP would be “less than optimal” because I’d take a 0-10V analog signal, go down to 0-5V to prevent clipping, then digitally amplify the signal with the introduced sampling noise as well up to the -5 / +5V “amplitude width”, but (if I even notice it) I could use the Listen I/O to bring audio levels up appropriately for higher quality sounds if I need to. Probably overthinking this.

Listen I/O
I’ve used it before and it works perfectly for what it does. Line to Euro and Euro to Line, The line outs both act as headphone TRS outputs which is super handy, acts as a mult or mixer as well if you really need it to. I’ll use this to bring Deluge up to Euro level and then SSP audio out to headphones which frees up the Veils for fader, VCA, fx loop, mixer duties

SSP
the main event

8HP Blank Panel
Most important, I’ll put a sticky note on it that says “Practice”

I’ve got to check if I’ve got the correct USB cables and pick up that ethernet SSH enabling LAN cable thing in the other thread. All things are generally available in stores, gunna wait two weeks to take care of some things then figure out the best way to purchase things. Looks like House of Sound in Switzerland has all of these things currently in stock which would be easiest, but there might be cheaper options if I look around a bit more. Let me know if you’ve got any thoughts or recommendations! Would synth shops haggle with me if I asked them? :money_with_wings: :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey,

recording from outside the box works just fine!
Its only if you send audio and CV modulations to the SSP from your Windows that can cause these pops.

I figured that 24 in and out channels are too much for Asio4all.

But in my experience, routing a oscillator into an input on your SSP to then record it on Windows should work perfectly fine.

1 Like

I’ve committed, won’t be able to get to it for a month or two because of life circumstances, so for now I’ll start learning some JUCE framework.

2 Likes

@postsolarpunk

Your in for a lot of fun when the time comes, the SSP is a phenomenal piece of work and it sounds fantastic too, so versatile, the contributions from others and in particular @thetechnobear are outstanding, a personal thank you to him (first post here) for all those modules you built and give to us, spoilt (-:

3 Likes

Hello all! I finally got back home and have been learning my way around SSP. I’ve sunk my whole morning into playing around with the granular engine and I’m having a blast. Had two questions someone might be able to answer.

Can I add notes to the manual forum posts? Just like, new user student notes. For example the Granular Module Granular Module - SSP manual - Percussa Forum doesn’t have a section on what the Dub parameter does. It’s probably around here somewhere on the forum, but can I add a comment to this forum post? Would it be desired if I did little updates like that to the manual posts as I found them?

I got a Roland SYR-E84 case, the SSP, and a 4ms Listen module for outputting audio. I’m getting noise on the output. I have the SSP connected directly to channel 1 of the busboard and the 4ms Listen connected to channel 2 via a daisy chain ribbon cable. I turn the output volume on the 4ms all the way down, and I’ve got noise coming out of the output, but if I turn up the output volume a little under halfway, then the noise drops to zero, then if I turn it up to full output the noise comes back (louder obviously). No input to 4ms, no noise, turn down the level and connect SSP output, noise, turn up level to a little under halfway, noise goes to zero. I’ve got the case plugged into a power supply which is then plugged into the wall. I’ll tinker a bit later just plugging directly into the wall and just outputting audio directly to headphones from the SSP instead. My two initial thoughts are that I’m either pulling too much current from the power supply or that the 4ms listen module has something wrong. I don’t think it’s the first one since this power supply can handle more than twice the current that I’m currently pulling. Could be something with SSP, no clue yet. I’ll snoop around on the forum to see if other have had noise issues in the past.

Other than that I’m going to try and build a DFAM patch from scratch and I’ll figure out how to share it whenever I get done with it as my first project to learn my way around the SSP. Thanks for all the help you’ve all given me so far! :slight_smile:

adding notes to ‘SSP Manual’ , sounds like a great idea… why not :slight_smile:

perhaps we should setup up a community wiki for the SSP, it could not only cover modules, but also other FAQ, or patch techniques?

noise via listen…
I dont have the 4ms Listen, but my experience is output modules don’t play nicely wiith power hungry digital modules in the same rack (esp. on same busboard)

I’ve a Befaco Output module, and I had noise from the SSP , but I also had noise from a Qubit Nebulae and my Terminal Tedium… ( my bela salt seems ok)
I think its not so much the power supply handling it (i.e mA) but its just the way the ‘cpu’ switch fast and then eurorack has got these tiny ribbon cables for grounding etc, so it ‘spills’ over.

so generally ( I make exceptions!) , I don’t going into a eurorack mixer/output module, with my SSP, rather I go to either an audio interface, or something like my Octatrack.

note: just to be clear, I find its fine to send audio back to my eurorack for processing… its just I tend not to want to go into a mixer or output module.

all that said, reading posts here, I think mileage varies alot between different users and setups.

as a side note:
Ive generally found eurorack is noisey… its been designed to be ‘easy’ rather than to be clean audio… go to any modular forum, discussing any digital module , and someone will be complaining about noise - and others will be ‘nah its fine for me’
I know, frustrating, but it is what it is.

the only other thing ive learnt with digital modules is to try not to push the gain up too much, helps keep the noise floor lower.

1 Like

I’ve got an audio interface, some speakers, and some headphones to try just going direct from the SSP later. I’ll try moving the output module to a different case too just to see what happens. I agree, no matter the product someone will post about noise. In my experience it was always my cheap power supplies whining when I pulled too much amperage from them, or cheap fuzz pedals without proper grounding or noise reduction in the circuitry or something.

Thanks for the ideas!

Edit: no clue how to set up a wiki, but I think the forum suffices for now. I always like sharing notes when/where I can

I wanted to give an update after a month of learning the SSP to finish off this thread. No need to respond to any of my questions, just thinking out loud, I’ll make a new thread for anything pertinent.

Noise issue is 100% from the output module and not SSP, so no worries there. It went away after I moved the module. I get a nifty “Deluge recognized” message when I load up the midi module and turn on the Deluge. I confirmed I can send a note value from Deluge and modulate something on the SSP, haven’t tried doing anything else yet though. The patching took a bit to get used to but it’s going well so far. I put down 16 module then I needed to patch something from page 3 to page 1 and couldn’t figure out how, but then I remembered the Bus module which solved that problem. The wavetable oscillator sounds great, the granular engine sounds great, the sampler, though I’ve only used it briefly works great.

I wanted to see if I could send and receive gates and CV to and from the teletype module. I couldn’t find a way to really generate a sequence of gate signals. I know I can use an LFO but I wanted to skip some steps, and then realized I could use a step sequencer as a gate sequencer by sending out 0 or +5V, and that seemed to do the trick. Then I could receive gates and CV from the teletype via the IN module and I was good to go. I think for my next studies, I really need to get a notebook and write down all my questions. Like, “look up what Dub means”, which I found out later is overdubbing amount.

I tried to make a DFAM as a starting project to learn the ropes, but I couldn’t figure out how to work the VCA really. I was getting tied up trying to get the VCA to open and close with an envelope, and I couldn’t get the envelope to work as fast as I thought it could. I wanted to make a simple AR but I couldn’t get it to be as snappy as I was hoping, but I think after patching some more it was user error. I’m also not sure if there’s just a simple oscillator voice module, or if I should use a series of LFOs for that? I’ll be rereading through all the manuals again and trying again some other time.

I made a new patch and decided rings into clouds is easy and available so I set up a sequencer, quantizer, rings, LFO, and an output module fairly simply and it sounded great. I was a bit tripped up with the quantizer, I went to load a scale and there were like, 3 folders worth of scales that divided the voltage range into exceedingly strange divisions and was wholly unfamiliar to me. I think I found something that looked like a major scale in one of technobear’s folders and it sounded like it worked so I just set it and moved on.

The reverb is absolutely beautiful, I’m in love.

I loaded up a wavetable oscillator and got the classic subtractive synth voice VCO, LPF, ENV, VCA working. I think I’ve got some weird recordings on my SSP, it was a demo model in a store I believe? I’ve got to find some actual wavetable files to load up on this thing, I was just using whatever .WAV I could find. I got some weird plinks with this and tried to figure out how to create a mixer when I realized PMIX exists, so I loaded that up and it’s everything and more I could have ever asked for in a mixer on the SSP so thanks a ton Mr. Technobear for all your hard work. I made an aux send return from there to the delay / reverb combo.

Is there a way to check the CPU percentage? I’ll go snooping around to see if that’s been asked. Since it hadn’t broken yet, I kept building, I used the teletype to vary the sequence clock on the wavetable plinker. I used another teletype clock to gate a sample from SAM. I think it was an elevator door field recording thing. Another sample on SAM I modulated the start and length and set it to loop which gave these ba ba ba ba ba ba babababababbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb noises. I dumped that into clouds then that into PMIX. I got the sound engine to crash after flicking through the clouds modes a bit quickly, like turning left through four modes on clouds and back again. All the audio stopped, I heard an eeeeeeeeeeeee noise, but SYNTHOR application was still working, I could still scroll around and do things. After maybe 30 seconds of poking buttons the sound engine came back to life and the patch was back to normal again. Not sure how clouds works at all, I just turned knobs till it sounded okay. The elevator door recording was a fun texture to retrigger and play around with, that plus whatever clouds is doing started making weird digital artifact noises, nice to add to the soup.

I went to the record page and guessed that things needed to be first enabled, then monitored, then recorded since that’s kinda how the patching worked with all the enable/disable stuff. It seemed to work, but I had no idea how to rename patches, files, or anything else to keep tabs on what is what. I was able to get the sound off the SD card onto my laptop, threw it through a compressor on ableton, and here’s my first sketch with the SSP. :slight_smile:

Stream SSP Sketch 01 by postsolarpunk | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

So far it’s doing everything it said it could do. I tried to get Linux set up on my laptop using the virtual machine but then there were some problems with me doing that, but eventually it seemed to work. My evidence for working is I was able to do a google search on a web browser on Linux, so I haven’t gotten to the dev stuff yet, too busy with grad school and staying sane.

Cheers y’all.

4 Likes

I’ve no idea how we’d go about doing that but I think it’d be a great idea.
The way the manual is now is very confusing especially to newcomers. For example a lot of the modules manual now is totally outdated so it’s telling you stuff which is not at all relevant since any updates, which is quite frankly really flipping confusing. I know that with updates the relevant information is put in with the update post but it’d be really nice to have a manual for each module all in one place that could be updated when necessary.