Questions

Hi everyone,
Got my Percussa a couple of days ago and… what can I say…? I really love it.
It a powerful and amazing gear with a lot of possibilities.

Say that… first question

It’s possible to assigned a sample to a single key of a keyboard?

yeah, great isn’t it :slight_smile:

hmm, interesting one … initially i’d say no, but… perhaps…

the SAM modules does not have a concept of selecting a sample to trig, you just trig the GATE of the sample you want, and pitch is to pitch the sample.
the MIDI module only can filter by midi channel , not a note range.

but heres a few ideas, perhaps to try

a) send notes on a different midi channel
in fairness, Ive got ‘drum machines’ that work this way too…
so to trig different samples, you have to send a note on a different midi channel, they do this so you can pitch the sample

to do this on the SSP, you create a number (e.g. 8) of different MIDI objects, and then select the different midi channel for each, then each goes to a different gate on SMP.

b) use SWI
ok, Im not sure this will work, or will basically be pretty fiddly to get right.
idea is MIDI : pitch -> SWI : sel , SWI: SN4 : SAM:Gate 1
(you’ll need a different SWI for each SAM:Gate input)

now the idea is to use the scale/offset on SWI:sel to make it so that the note you want, activates SN4 , this is the fiddly bit. (once you’ve done one, I think others will be easier)

the principe here… is that using scale and offset, that only that note will go to SN4, others will go to SN1-3/5-8 , which are not connected to anything.

(theoretically, you might be able to connective consecutive note to different switch outputs but Ive a suspicion that in practice that wont work, as you’ll not be able to dial in an appropriate scale!?)

c) use 'sample chains’
this is another common technique on samplers
the idea is you place all your samples for different notes in one long sample file,
then you modulate START based on pitch, which is using an appropriate scale/offset

the ‘difficulties’ here are getting the correct scaling of pitch to start,
also it may be that there is not quite enough precision here… to really accurate hit the start of the sample … these could probably be alleviated by how you create the sample chain wav file by spacing samples in a way that makes it easier for ssp to ‘hit’ the right one give a pitch. (START is a % of file length)

obviously (a) is the very simple and will work - and is what I would do (and do for other drum machines anyway)

b / c I think theoretically are possible, but in practice may be problematic/ a lot of hassle.

@Bert perhaps in the future the MIDI module could have a ‘note range’ (low/high) to allow filtering by note, this would be useful for things like keyboard splits as well.

Ive also been wondering about creating modules in this area, e.g. a comparitor, this would be the ‘modular’ way of doing it.
my vague idea has been perhaps some kind of maths utility module, that might have a few different functions.

1 Like

Wow… thanks for the reply…
I’ll try a couple of these streets

Second question:
It’s possible to synchronise the sequencer (start/stop/begin) every time I press a key?

Thanks a lot

I’m ok with the start and begin… no way to stop… :slight_smile:

the trick with any modular is lateral thinking - it’s why I enjoy it so much :slight_smile:

since you really don’t want to have to ask every time, your not sure how to do something…

I’ll show two different ways (different use-case) to kind of get you going on your way.
bare in mind, the above post has already dealt with 'using specific notes’
so this is going to assume its ‘any note’

also its important to be accurate here, eg we are not talking keys, we are talking note_on/off over midi, and this translates to gate on/off

a) sequencer runs whilst a note is held down
not quite what you mean, I think - but helps to build up strategies for the future
(your question could do with being a little more ‘detailed’ … what do you mean exactly)

midi : gate -> seq : start/begin
midi : gate -> seq : end (inverted)

inversion: offset = 1.0, scale = -1.0

using scale/offset on inputs and outputs is a very important and useful part of modular!

b) sequencer starts on note on, runs… turns off on next note_on
so the issue here is one of ‘state’, we want to have the one note_on start, and then the next to turn off…
i can think of a few ways to do this… but here is probably the simplest to understand.

create a second sequencer (lets call it seq2) , seq2 has 2 steps , and with G1 ON on one step and OFF on the next.
now:
midi gate -> seq2 : clock (remember to turn off internal clock)

seq2: g1 -> seq 1 start/begin
seq2: g1 -> seq 1 end (inverted)

so what happens here is…

every time you play a note, seq 2 is advanced, and is toggling between on and off on G1,
this in turn, then starts/stop seq 1

as i said, nothing ‘new’ here I suspect, just a little bit of lateral thinking…

in both the SSP and physical eurorack modules, the number of inputs and also functionality is always limited on a particular module - the ace up the sleeve of modular, is that we can then create our ‘specific’ use-case by combining modules :slight_smile: