Question about ARP module

There are some confusion about the ARP module.

1. I feed a LFO square to the clock input of ARP and set the ratio to 1.00. I assume the output will follow the clock input exactly but the result is not (even the division of the clock output is not matched).

2. And how is the ratio work? It seems like 1.00 is not the same as clock input.

3. Also, the gate output is not triggered when every ARP steps occur (e.g. when there are 4 steps, it just triggered 1 or 2 gate output).

Could anyone try and help? Thanks so much!

@yhiitming Here is something that I hope will clarify things for you.
First of all the ARP parameters:
Step: Is the amount that gets add (or subtracted for negative values) for every arpeggiator step. If you have nothing patched into the Arp In input the starting point is always 0V
Length: This is the number of steps that the arpeggiator uses. When it reaches the last step, it starts playing from the beginning.
Ratio: The number of arpeggiator steps per clock.
Rand: (I am not 100% sure on this) Subtracts or add the Step value from the previous value. This allows for more meandering mini-sequences.

Now for your questions - please look at the patch I have attached:
1: Yes this should work. The way it looks the ARP clock gets calculated is that is triggers on both the rising and falling edge of the square wave and divides this by two. I get four ARP steps at an LFO frequency of 0.5 Hz
2: The ratio sets the number of steps per clock and in the example patch if I set the Ratio 2, I get 8 ARP steps with the same LFO frequency
3: Again - please look at the example patch. I have patched the ARP Gate to the STE Clock in. You’ll see the STE move one step for every ARP Gate / Clock it receives.

The one thing that may be a bit counter intuitive is the ARP Clock calculation based on the Square wave input. While it is not 1:1, it is definitely in Sync. Also bear in mind that when you change the LFO rate, the ARP takes a few steps to catch up with the new tempo.

Further notes the example patch: I have patched the same LFO Sq that delivers the ARP Clock to the ARP Reset input. While the Length parameter is 5, you’ll only hear 4 ARP steps because it gets reset. When you set the ARP Ratio to 2, you’ll hear 8 steps: 12345123 in sequence, after which it will reset and play the same 12345123 steps again. Also note that for the ARP Gate to STE Clock to work the IntSync setting of the STE needs to be Off.

I suggest you inspect the ARP, LFO and STE modules to understand what’s going on.

014.ArpAgitator.zip (30.5 KB)

1 Like

hmm, this is interesting…
I initially thought it was just random, since I do hear it sometimes just quite a bit .
e.g. from lowest in range to highest… which would be less likely if it was ‘walking’

that said listening to longer sequences, Im not so sure now… it definitely ‘lingers’ in certain areas, as if it’s walking.

so its sounding to me like it is walking, and as you say selecting from length*step values,
but I suspect its using a distribution which makes it more likely to select ‘small’ step values up n’ down… but theres a chance for it to make large jumps.

definitely more interesting than I thought when I first played with it!