Push + Turn = Super Speed

Description of feature (short and simple):
When browsing a list, if you press and move the encoder the speed of scrolling goes up ( not sure by how much but at least 2x the speed). This means that functionality of “select” action by pressing 1st encoder will change, namely the item is selected when the encoder is released and not when it is pressed (this can be done for all encoder based click functions).

How will this feature improve the workflow or experience for all SSP users (keep it short and focused):
When browsing through large folders this will be make it easy to quickly access items that are far in the list, or could also be used to quickly move between the 1st and last item in the list.

2 Likes

Definitely. This gets more necessary the more items you have in a given list, of course.

1 Like

So you mean like how elektron does it? Might be good for long list not sure about it as like a global thing though.

1 Like

Yea basically like elektron. Also would work great when scrolling from page 1 to page 16 in the network grid, or for sequencer as well.

First I thought that maybe if the knobs have accelerometers, it would be cool if scrolling slowly moved slowly and if you turn the knob faster then the movement is faster, but then the speed at which you can scroll now is already fairly fast for the size of visible list, so push + turn would work better.

I have done a lot of work on this the past week and will be posting an update in the next few days. Thanks for your patience :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:+1: @bert, for hard work and listening. Nice one @IvanS & @Mercurial

1 Like

so the issues with encoder sensitivity / step size / speed should have been solved now with this update -
https://forum.percussa.com/t/update-12082018-mtq-bugfixes-encoder-tuning-sample-xfading-new-sample-drawing-zooming-code/370/2

if you still have issues then please post a specific request or bug report about what exactly is not working for you in what scenario.

1 Like

Although I have noticed an improvement in sensitivity, there is still no way to move super fast. If i am scrolling through a list of 200 samples, it takes too long to scroll to the last one. There should be a way to quickly reach the first and last item, for example HoldPress + move encoder. This means that anything in any list should only be selected once the encoder has been released. Let me know if I should post it in a feature request, but I think I already posted very much similar idea there.

So ideally to move super fast, to move from current sample in the list to the last one should be done by HoldPressing either of Shift key and turning the encoder by 180 degrees max, since anything more will require very flexible hands and fingers, moving encoder by just 180 degrees is possible without breaking your wrist haha. So the speed of moving through the list will be proportional to the size of the list. If you have 1000 samples in the folder then yes it wont be precise, but the point here is to just move quickly first and then get precise. So maybe building up on the idea of the sequencer operation, super fast scrolling can be activated by press holding shift key and moving with the encoder by either 180 degrees max or for however long you want.

if you turn fast enough, it will go quite fast. There is already an idea posted in the forum to make the file chooser multi level, so instead of one long list you have to drill down into folders to get the file you want. @Mercurial (and others?) suggested doing it that way. If we have that, then the above becomes unncessary?

I will try it out, the only thing is that you can turn the encoder fast only by about 180 degrees in one turn, which means that you wont get to the end of the list, so the shift key would scale the acceleration proportionally to the size of the list and hence you will be able to get to the end of the list by moving the encoder fast by maximum of 180 degrees. Folder idea is super necessary, but what if a folder has 100 sounds and you want to get to the end of the list?

just try twisting the encoder several times in a fast motion with your fingers / hand.

The idea is taken from elektron boxes, when you hold press and turn a knob, rotating by 180 degrees (one movement with you hand = fast) you can scroll through the whole list.

The point here is to get to the last item in the list as quickly as possible.

1 Like

i think pushing and turning sucks, it puts more stress on the encoder than necessary … it’s just my personal opinion so don’t take it wrong :slight_smile:

what we can still do is put some additional acceleration logic in there. Right now it’s just the natural acceleration of the encoder in action, I can put some additional code in the software that would accelerate the step if you start turning really fast.

the shift + encoder might be another option worth exploring.

1 Like

Would become the standard procedure to move quickly around files, sequencers, frequencies, levels, so yes, I reciprocate.

Having the multi level is also an excellent suggestion and a must have. Samples placed in their own file per sound basis, as well as Drums, Kicks, style etc is the way forward, this way you don’t remove your samples, and you keep the same format as samples on your computers HDD’s, and sharing sounds/presets that include own samples on the forum becomes a simple drag and drop.

some good suggestions @IvanS

2 Likes

Yea i think push turning the encoder isnt that good, I am more into pressing one of the shift keys and turning the encoder for the same functionality.

+10 to @Mercurial for suggesting the folder based workflow and this should solve having to twist an encoder endlessly to navigate everything that you have on your card.:grin::+1:

I don’t think the encoder accelerator is working for me or at least I’m not experiencing a large difference… maybe I’m not twist spinning fast enough I guess. :thinking:

Pushing the encoder in should be reserved for further enhancements and not used to accelerate the speed IMHO. :v:

Agree on this, pushing should be reserved for something else. Simply turning an encoder a lot faster should increase the size of the jumps so that the net result is you get where you’re going 4x, 8x or 10x faster, or something of that magnitude. Obviously, this has to be fine-tuned according to everyone’s consensus, but that’s a reasonable starting point.