Percussa with Linnstrument for Band -- highly specific use case

Greetings. I have a set of needs, and I’m interested if the SSP can meet them.

I currently use a bit of a mutt system with a rock band. My controller is a Linnstrument. I use a Eurorack and an iPhone. It’s a bit fiddle to set up.

TL;dr: could I have a preset that contains a polyphonic wavetable and an ADSR (making it paraphonic, I guess), a sampler with a piano sample, a delay, a reverb, and maybe a granular processor, that also sends the wavetable out to an analog filter and then back into the SSP for delay and reverb – while the piano goes straight into the delay and verb (guess this would be a mixer module)? Or will that overburden the SSP?

Details:

What I’d like to do is use a wavetable oscillator polyphonically, mix it in the module, run it out to an analog filter, and then run it back through the SSP for effects.

I need quickly accessible presets (think: changing sounds between songs).

What is latency like if I play sounds out of the module, route through an analog filter (which converts my polyphony to paraphony, but whatever), and then through a delay and reverb before going out to a DI and into a mixer?

BUT WAIT, there’s more.

On a few songs, I use a piano sound. Is there currently an ok (we’re talking live use in a rock band–doesn’t have to be perfect but needs velocity sensitivity) piano multisample that works with the SSP? Could I run that through the same reverb and delay effects that I run the analog filter through?

If so, could I set that up on, eg, 5 MIDI channels, and then run the wavetable on 5 channels, with different outs, along with a delay and reverb?

Lastly, there’s a trick I learned with Elektron boxes: tweak a bunch of parameters to make something go nuts during a fill/buildup, then hit “reload” and instantly get my original sound back. Is that kind of thing possible in real time performance on the SSP?

TIA!

It depends on how many voices you want in your polyphonic wavetable synth. There is an 8-voice wavetable patch with delay and reverb that comes with the SSP, which is pretty heavy CPU wise. So you can start with that, add what you need, and if necessary reduce the voices to 6 or 4. You can build the above into one patch on the SSP.

Preset loading is instant on the SSP.

We use buffer sizes of about 3ms. If you are using a MIDI controller connected to the SSP via USB, send the audio out through your filter and then back into the SSP through the effects and then back out, it will be more, maybe 6 or 9ms.

You will have to find a good grand piano WAV sound set, put that on the SSP’s SD card, and then build a multisample-instrument using the sampler and envelope modules in the SSP.

There are about 60 patches that come with the SSP, so those can be a starting point for what you want to do.

Yes, but see above for my comment about the number of voices. Sample playback doesn’t require as much CPU as wavetable oscillators, so that will be helpful for building your patch.

you could do that by switching to a different preset and then switching back, but it might be better to use a MIDI fader or knob box with MIDI CC recall, such that with the press of a button you can reset your CC values. On the SSP, those CC values become CV signals, so if you reset the CC values then the CV levels will reset and you will get the sound you had back.

At the moment you can only connect one USB MIDI class compliant controller to the SSP, so ideally you want to use a MIDI controller that has knobs or faders on it with an instant recall function. I’m planning to support multiple controllers in the near future.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

i have a very good, original, sample set for a john cale prepared piano
but it is 1,52GB (all 88 keys, 4 velocities)
how much will the SSP load into Mem?
if played from the SD card, what is the latency then?

i also was thinking : just switch preset, one with default values,one to tweak - or even just choose another preset (after you done your tweaking), then switch back to your original preset (= original values)
why would it be better to use a MIDI controller ? (with saved presets or templates like novation e.g.)

Do we even have a way currently of individually addressing that many samples? I think we would need a sample slice and CV slice address function to get there.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I may well have to wait to encounter one in the wild and mess around with it (if you know of an owner in Montreal, please message me). I use a Linnstrument, so that’s my controller. I suppose I could run that into a FH-2 and run CV into the SSP and then use a box of knobs but that’s not optimal.

Like everything, the SSP is designed with some use cases in mind more than others. I’m still waiting for the plug and play Eurorack sample player or ROMpler so I can ditch my phone as part of my setup.

That preset switching is instant is appealing. It sounds like I could put two next to each other and achieve the “reload” effect.

you should be able to load 1.52GB of samples, but you won’t have much left in terms of memory.

you can’t play the samples directly from the SD card, the sampler doesn’t support that yet, it loads the files into memory. If the samples were playing directly from the card it would not make a big difference because the card is extremely fast both in access time and throughput, 90MB/s read speed.

1 Like

Maybe it could be done, but I haven’t thought about it yet.

you can connect your linnstrument directly to the SSP, it supports MPE, so you don’t need the FH-2.

You might want to talk to Moog Music in Montreal.

well, you wanted a module that can do many different things, and that is what the SSP is :slight_smile:

Yes, that’s why I’m interested.

if you haven’t seen these videos yet, check them out -

Reverse that.

Run your knobs into the FH-2 (and run CV into the SSP).

Then it’s just one cable per knob to bring in, as opposed to several per note from the Linnstrument.

Whatever controller spits out the most data, you want going through USB.

1 Like