Percussa IPad usage

Does anyone have any videos showing how they use the Percussa as an interface for the iPad and passing audio/cv back and forth?

I don’t have a video, but have done it before with an iPhone.

needed a CCK (Camera Connection Kit) for iPhone
( I suspect usb-c based iOS don’t need this CCK?)

then…
iPhone → CCK → usb cable → SSP (device, so USB B port)

from there, it all depends on the iOS app !
they need to support audio interfaces… so you just select then select the SSP.
even if they support, you might find they don’t support all channels, I had some that only gave access to 2 in/out.
(obviously pro-audio apps are much more likely to support)

obviously, as it was just an iPhone , I didn’t use it for much…
for a while, I used AUM, mainly for mixing which was quite cool.
and I’ve used it for getting direct audio for videos a few times.
(this was where app support was ‘variable’ :wink: )

as far as I remember, it just worked…(*) (assuming apps support!)

(*) that said, I do half remember iOS can be a bit finicky with order devices are turned on/plugged in. I had to develop a ‘routine’ with my Zoom recorder to get it to work, and I can’t remember if this was also the case with the SSP… and of course, may have improved over the years… (or not ;))

these days, I don’t use so much as I bought a USB audio interface with a lot more IO, thats connected to my Mac… so tends to be what I use 90% of the time, though I use direct USB more with my laptop.

on the Mac, I use Loopback, which is fantastic when used with multiple audio interfaces or for redirecting audio between apps… and not having ro continually re-setup audio interfaces in your apps.

I don’t have a video, but I did the setup with my IPad (which has usb-c), and I’d say it worked pretty smoothly. (EDIT: I guess I’m mostly repeating technobear’s post, maybe it’s still useful as another testimony :upside_down_face: )

Setup

• USB-C hub
  • a USB-A to USB-B cable (from some Elektron machine)
  • Drambo / AUM

In both drambo and AUM the SSP showed up as a 24/24 audio interface.
In Drambo, for instance I could just add an LFO, send it to some channel, and the signal would should up in the SSP. Was also able to send rhythmic envelopes to another modular that way for instance (using the IN and OUT modules on the SSP for routing).

Thank you both for the reply.

@thetechnobear Have you used loopback between interfaces? What’s the workflow for that? Trying to think about a use case, maybe using the VCV rack on one interface, and a DAW on another? I haven’t used vcv rack yet but was curious.

@yp1 was the hub a requirement or was it for powering the iPad, I have usb-c ipad ? And how did you send midi clock was that through midi from Percussa or somewhere else? I would be sending midi clock from a hardware sequencer into percussa.

I’m looking to use percussa possibly with Mac also but was more thinking of sending audio/cv back and forth to my iPad and modular system. There are some neat apps I’d like to interface with. I can currently pass audio and cv to the Mac separately from my modular through a bored brain OPTX but don’t have a way to bridge audio and Cv to the iPad so part of the decision to get a percussa is to access the ipad.

Just hoping to get a handle on the workflow and other considerations as iPad and percussa are both less familiar and new to me.

Right, the hub was for powering the ipad, and also since I don’t have a usb-b to usb-c cable.
I did not send midi (clock). Just CV / audio.

Loopback is best thought of as like a hardware (audio) patchbay.
so you create ‘virtual audio interfaces’ and then you can patch other your (multiple) audio interfaces into it, or even others applications audio.

so, yeah, you can send the audio from vcvrack into Ableton, or to your SSP.

what I also like about it is, it’s always running… so I can use it to route my hardwares audio between each other, without having to run a DAW.

its a very useful tool… Ive been using it for years, and couldn’t live without it :slight_smile:

btw: it can also be used to route CV… you just need to be careful you don’t attenuate signals anywhere.

by the way, one thing to be aware of, if you are planning on throwing audio around via usb… everything creates latency.
if you are someone that likes to keep everything in tight sync, this can be a huge can of worms.
and, despite what you might hear (delay compensation etc) there are no magical cures, its a matter of compromise to get to an acceptable solution.

its not a big deal,at least for me, but its worth bearing in mind.

1 Like