Midi Module How to trigger a chord

Okay so I’m sending midi out on chan 1 via USB, just as I would and always do into my computer via ableton.

I see nothing familiar in SSP. Why did you all make this stuff familiar so we can recognize what we’re doing? (hint, naming conventions should NOT be changed when they are decades old and totally functional)

So I read the other thread that said V1, V2… V16 are all midi chans… 1,2… 16? Why not call them Ch1? seems silly.

Now, they aren’t responding to my ch1 input. I have NO idea how to start making them respond to my midi controller. This isn’t intuitive, it makes no sense because I see nothing familiar inside the SSP. Can you all please rethink why you are naming things different in regards to midi?

Also, I really need a manual. I honestly have no idea how to do a chord.
I want to send a simple chord through midi chan 1… How is that possible?

Looks like USB socket 1 (farthest to the left) doesn’t work to receive USB midi. Socket 2 works just fine. Is this normal?

However, at the same time, I’m totally unsure if the chord is working, because the WTO is way too noisy and clangerous. My ears seem to tell me it’s not hittin the chord, but I need to load the LFO just to have a simple sound to see if the midi is sending properly…

That is correct the left most port is not for midi compliant devices. Use the middle port for all USB compliant controllers.

There is a manual. We sent you the link to the manual when we sent you your tracking number. Here is the link again -

The manual also specifies that you have to use the middle USB-host port if you connect a USB MIDI keyboard. The manual will be updated and expanded as we go forward.

There is no mention of MIDI channels when you plug in a USB MIDI keyboard at the moment because only one USB MIDI device is supported, the first one you plug in, and because all data is treated as omni (so it doesn’t care what channels your keyboard is sending on). Also, for MPE we needed all channels anyway.

The SSP is a modular synthesis / DSP platform, not a full blown DAW. It does offer a few DAW features already (like multitrack recording) and who knows, maybe down the line more features typical for DAWs will be added. It’s unrealistic to expect that we can develop a full DAW similar to Ableton Live within the span of one kickstarter campaign while simultaneously designing, developing, manufacturing and delivering the SSP.

The SSP’s user interface is optimized for eurorack workflow and for the display we use (one of the biggest and most beautiful displays in eurorack). The screen is not as big as the one you have on your desktop computer, and the user interface needs to be operated with keys and encoders (not with a mouse) so obviously all this cannot work exactly the same as it does on your computer in Ableton Live.

Those are not midi channels but voices. The incoming midi notes are assigned to voices in a round-robin fashion. So the first note arriving goes to voice 1, the second one to voice 2, and so on.

If you only press V1, there is only one voice. So the notes go to that voice. If you press V1 and V2 you have 2 voices, etc. In the first demo preset (4 voice wavetable synth) you will see that there are 4 voices in use: there are 4 midi modules and each of them is linked to a different voice. So the first midi module has V1 enabled, the second one has V2 enabled, and so on. This lets you build whatever voice architecture you want.

We made a preset like the 4 voice wavetable synth so you can simply plug in your midi keyboard (into the middle port!) and start playing. All you need to do is connect the first 2 outputs of the SSP to your mixer or your output amplifier / headphone amplifier module in your rack.

That preset also teaches you how to hook up and use the midi module. It’s already connected to the wavetable oscillators, envelopes, etc. Just browse through that patch and pay attention to how everything is patched and you’ll learn a lot.

When you play a chord, multiple notes will be received by the SSP over USB MIDI, and it will assign the notes to different voices in a round robin fashion as they come in (in the case of the 4 voice preset, up to 4 notes can be played and can sound simultaneously).

So what will happen is that the first midi module in the grid will output the data from the first note, the second midi module sends out the data from the second note, and so on.

The leftmost USB host port is a high-speed port, so it cannot work with full-speed or low-speed devices. Examples of high speed devices are USB 2.0 hubs and USB-ethernet adapters.

If you want to connect a USB MIDI keyboard you have to use the middle port. This is also explained in the manual.

Just start with the first preset (4 voice wavetable synth) and go from there.

so if i attach a sequencer who is sending MIDI at 16ch (ch10 drums, ch1 lead, ch2 bass etc), the SSP will (try to) play all that data at once?

maybe a MIDI (in) filter would be handy then - if OMNI mode is on, then all sub modules are to be in OMNI off and a (1) MIDI channel assignable

if this is MPE protocol, then past MIDI protocols have to be configurable

In the global menu you can turn MPE on or off on the third page (use left/right to browse parameter/setting pages).

When it’s off, you can plug in a normal USB MIDI keyboard and the software will treat the incoming notes as “omni” and assign the notes to voices in a round robin fashion.

If you send MIDI data from a sequencer, with multiple instruments on different channels, there is no way right now to split that up. You can’t set a MIDI module to only listen to data from one MIDI channel at the moment. I’ll need to do some thinking about what the best way is to provide this flexibility without making this too complicated. In the meantime feel free to post a feature in the SSP features category describing how you think it should work.

Ahh this is the problem actually Bert. Thank you for adressing this issue. It is why I can’t make it work. I have to have the SSP as the ONLY think I’m sending midi data to, and that’s really restrictive to my studio/workflow. I have a 2nd sequencer coming in 2 days, so I’ll eventually get some more flexibility, but I imagine this upgrading/complicating of the midi is really necessary for the vast majority of people.

You can always use the 16 inputs of the SSP to send it whatever signals you want to control whatever you want in the SSP, so you are not as limited as you might think you are.

Other than that, the middle USB host port is the only port that supports a USB MIDI keyboard (or other class compliant device) so I don’t see what you plan to connect to this port if it’s not a keyboard or MPE controller. The USB device port (rightmost port) does not support MIDI traffic, so you cannot connect that to your PC or Mac and send or receive MIDI data to it or from it.

It would be helpful to have more details about what you want to do.

Hey … bit late. But Im also struggling with midi. Cant get a signal from the keyboard or from the computer. So am I right in thinking I can’t use the right hand port to send midi from the computer? Is this possible at all?
Also any idea why the keyboard wouldn’t be working?
Thanks

the rightmost USB port on the front of the SSP is only used for sending audio to and from your computer. It does not support MIDI. USB MIDI controllers can be plugged into the middle port only. There are some posts here in the forum discussing how to use USB-MIDI connector cables with the SSP which you can potentially use to send MIDI from your Mac or PC directly to the SSP.

Yes interesting re MIDI keyboards. For me he Arturia Keystep works just fine no problem and yet when I plug in the Akai MPK mini - nothing. Both work fine say into computer with Ableton. Haven’t had time yet to investigate but I will and report back.