MIDI CC "learn" support

Description of feature (short and simple):

Add MIDI CC “learn” support, where a parameter is selected, and the next MIDI CC message that is received is bound as the input source for that parameter.

How will this feature improve the workflow or experience for all SSP users (keep it short and focused):

This is a common feature in software VST plugins, and would be a very cost-effective and space-effective way to wiggle the SSP with knobs and faders. For example, a Novation Launch Control XL has 24 knobs and 8 fader (which feel high-quality) for US$150. This is cheaper than e.g. an Erogenous Tones Levit8, which is often used as a compact source of voltage-offset knobs (in addition to attenuation duties), can control only 8 parameters (and one SSP input jack for each), and consumes 10hp of sweet sweet rack space.

It’s not obvious what the UX would be (i.e. how it would fit with the current patching model), but it seems like it might also provide a very intuitive and efficient way to establish parameter connections.

1 Like

From the UX point of view, the easiest method to put the device into MIDI Learn is usually something like
a modifier key or encoder button held down while the desired target parameter
is selected, usually for some period of time like a second or so, which activates this.
Once the next MIDI message is received, it’s displayed onscreen to confirm, and the link
is established. You’d also want a way to see a list of all current MIDI sources pointed
at a particular target parameter, which would itself be editable and include scaling options.

1 Like

I like this idea a lot. I would imagine the internal controls and parameters are not using midi as such, but it doesn’t seem overly difficult at least in my mind.

I totally agree that using rack space for it just seems wasteful. :slight_smile: Well unless of course it is a ‘future’ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: SSP expander product…

the Percussa Remote is a control surface that integrates already with the percussa engine (the standalone version of the SSP). I still have to update the mappings but when i’m done with that it will work with the SSP out of the box, and the advantage is that the button / encoder is the same as on the SSP, with the addition of 16 shortcut buttons.

Did anything ever come of this? I have a MIDI Fighter Twister I would love to be able to use with the SSP :slight_smile:

Though therer is no MIDI CC learn function yet, you can use MIDI fighter Twister via SSP’s MIDI module if it is the class compliant USB MIDI device.

Awesome, should work great then (it is class compliant). After watching a few of MATTHS’ videos and reading a bit more on the forum here, it appears that I will be able to do what I intended and use multiple MIDI modules to set up CC communication for more than 8 parameters using the Twister :slight_smile: