Ins and Outs

A quick question - I see great potential to use the Percussa as a ‘mega’ CV generator for the rest of the eurorack system - in fact to become the central control. It would be awesome if the Percussa could more than 8 physical outputs; flipping it to a 16 out 8 in machine. First is that possible? And if it is - is it a big deal to offer? I was thinking (ouch this might hurt!) a 2nd image offering so the user can choose one or the other as and when required.

1 Like

no… the jacks cannot just be ‘reconfigured’ as they will be attached to things like DAC/ADC (and other ancillary components)

I also have been thinking about more outputs…

there are a couple of (theoretical!) possible options :

a) add an additional dc coupled audio interface via usb.
you could use something like an expert sleepers ES-8 or ES-8, these could connect via usb.
linux supports multiple audio interfaces at once, so then you could use the SSP IO and also the ES8 IO.
note: you would need a decent amount linux knowledge to do this, also its likely you would need to code an additional module (vst) or two to be able to access these within synthor.

b) SSP expander
so the ssp has an I2C connector on the board, theoretically you could create a small expander module that had a DAC onboard and connected via I2C…
of course this need hardware and software knowledge.
Im quite interested to explore this avenue, once Im a little less busy.

but perhaps @bert might one day make an SSP expander module, for sure another 8 output, even limited to CV would be awesome.

2 Likes

that’s perfectly possible, if you install the expert sleepers ES-9 next to it

then you can make use of the remaining/other ins/outs through USB

cheers!

yeah, assuming class compliant audio drivers are compiled into the kernel it’s possible.

however… (and the reason i said its possibly not plug n’ play) , the issue is, its possible the additional IO would not just map onto the same IO space that the OUT module uses… and therefore would not be useable without some additional ‘jiggery pokery’.
but its something one would have to play with, Ive sold my ES-8 so don’t have one to try… I guess I could try with some other audio interfaces I have…if/when I have time

I’ve personally not had the need for more outputs (yet) as still in early stages with my SSP but I’d imagine with all the modules inside the SSP an expanded module would be a great addition for lots of people…or another SSP :wink:

yeah, I think it depends on how you use the SSP.
e.g. Ive been doing quite a bit of mixing recently, so that ‘eats’ up IO quite quickly, its also relatively light on CPU… ( so you run out of IO before cpu :slight_smile: )

I’d say generally, the SSP is well balanced for IO, considering UI and cpu/ram…
but I’d think an expander would sell well with SSP owners.
(but of course, thats that market in itself is smaller compared to the whole eurorack market)

OT, but its I2C is quite interesting more generally, as a few modules are now support it to ‘link modules’… and being ‘just’ a data bus, it has lot of possibilities for use.

I’d agree, Although like you say with the addition of the PMIX on its own you could easily fill those inputs especially with multiple PMIX’s. I guess it’s just how things can evolve. I’d also agree I’d imagine there’s a market amongst the SSP users for an expander in the future, obviously entirely up to @bert, I’m sure he’s already thought about it.

I have a few (3 I think) modules that have I2C ports on them (Assim8, NerdSeq and the SSP) although as far as I know none are implemented (yet) to work together. I2C looks like something that would interest me although it might well make the expanders for the Nerdseq I have a bit redundant

1 Like

yeah, I2C is low level, so you need to build in support for particular modules - you cannot just support i2c as a thing (like midi) e.g theres some support between ‘monome’ modules, and some i2c support I believe in the er301.
on the flip size, its a pretty straightforward protocol, so its quite easy to support for devices.

i don’t have a huge interest in i2c as inter-module connectivity, as I don’t have many modules supporting it - but might be interesting for others.

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

I, for one, would definitely jump at an expander module if that ever came to fruition, as I’m also chewing IO up quite quickly leveraging the SSP’s mixing and external audio and CV routing capabilities. In particularly (bit of a digress here) because I’ve been unable to harness the full potential of SSP’s audio-over-usb into Bitwig, which my feeble brain believes will ultimately and eventually provide enormous relief with regard to output usage for audio routing once I figure that bit out :slight_smile:

I own an ES-8 and I would absolutely use it this way if it were possible.

1 Like

Well yes me too for a output expander addon!