First Day Questions

Hello Bert, Celine, and fellow Percussa enthusiasts!

I have a few questions regarding the operation of my new Percussa and have been instructed to list them in this forum category, so here it goes:

1. How do you copy a modified preset and then save it into another preset slot/number?
  2. How do you stop parameter values from rolling-over/wrapping around from max to min values?
  3. I instinctively want to press round encoder #1 to open/focus on a module. Would be cool if when you were in the Navigation page and have it selected you press down on encoder #1 and it opens its processor (parameters) page automatically.
  4. The range for an LFO is way to wide and hard to get the small values that I need and expect from an LFO (see above comment #2). I think another user has mentioned having a true LFO that is limited from 0.1 Hz to 10 Hz or something more constrained.
  5. I loaded up a vocal sample into the granular preset (01) and am having a hard time understanding the parameter names and their association to the changes made in the preset. Can we get more detailed explanations of what these parameter names are and their functionality please?
  6. In the Granular parameter page there are two pages with actual parameters to change but am able to cycle through several more empty pages until it cycles back to the two pages with values. I would expect that the number of pages of parameters would be limited to the number of values that you can actually change.

Again, first day questions so please take it easy on me, just trying to get up to speed with this newly acquired awesome module.

2 Likes

Every question here and their inherent suggestions I also have and am “working around” (tolerating). I love this module, and I hope the design goes the right direction.

2 Likes

That’s a healthy set of question for the first day. Great stuff! I’ll answer what I can now, and get back to you with the other answers when I get them.

2 - See this thread: Return to zero

3 - I’ll make this into a feature request for you. Moving to Proc Menu with encoder click

4 - The LFO module is interesting as it is also a regular oscillator as well. I think the best way to handle this, would be to just create a toggle option to go into full on LFO mode, or Oscillator mode. I’ll create a feature request again for you. Making the LFO module a better LFO

6 - These sorts of things are sort of like the dotting of i’s and crossing of t’s. The module’s firmware is extremely complex and has a lot of moving parts. These things will all be cleaned up. I’ll make this a bug request. Unused Granular pages

Please don’t hesitate to ever ask a question. However, in the future if you have suggestions or possible bugs please try to list them as individual threads within the features or bugs categories. This just makes tracking bugs and features much easier. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response to my questions (I actually do have more…)!
In the future I’ll break them out into individual topics.

also, see this answer from C. regarding cycle through parameters

1 Like

Please find below a detailed description of all the parameters of the granular module. I will also add this to the manual today.

Sel: You can load any WAV sample using the select encoder and the Load button.

GrCo: grain frequency coarse (in hz) determines how fast the grains are triggered for playback , in hz.

GrFi: grain frequency fine (in hz) determines how fast the grains are triggered for playback , in hz.

Start: start of grain selection window. The start and length parameters lets you choose a
window from which grains are randomly selected for playback at the grain frequency.

Lgth: length of grain selection window. The start and length parameters lets you choose
a window from which grains are randomly selected for playback at the grain frequency.

GrDur: length of the grains (in ms). Using the grain duration parameter, it is possible to
blend the grains together or isolate them more (this works together with the grain frequency).

Tune: tuning of the grains, in cents (-1200 … +1200). Using the Tune parameter, it is
possible to tune the sound up or down +/- 1200 cents. This is useful when layering sounds
which differ in pitch, so they can be made to be in tune.

Lvl: The level parameter is used to adjust the output level of the granular processor.
Depending on the grain duration and frequency, when a lot of grains are mixed together, the
output might clip, so this parameter can be used to adjust the output to avoid clipping the
signal. You can keep an eye on the output scope when inside the granular processor screen
to make sure it’s not clipping.

NrGr: upper limit for number of grains that can be triggered. Using the number of grains
parameter, it’s possible to limit the number of grain voices that are available. By setting
this to a low value grains that are playing back will be interrupted by new grains which start
playing. By setting the value high (e.g. 800) it’s possible to play a lot of grains together
to create a dense texture. With the amount of grains active, the CPU usage goes up as
well. Setting the parameter to a high value does not mean that the grains will be used, that
depends on the grain frequency and duration. The number of grains parameter just sets an
upper limit.

Crse: frequency (pitch) of the sample, coarse (in hz).

Fine: frequency (pitch) of the sample, fine (in hz).

Rand: randomization factor for grain start time and grain duration. Using the random
setting, it’s possible to blend between randomization of grain start time (which is derived
from the grain frequency) and randomization of grain duration.

3 Likes

Yes, that is right and I understand it would make more sense to limit it to 2 pages in case of the granular module, but right now every module has 8 pages, because some modules such as the step seq need 8 pages. Because of the architecture of the code it is not so easy to change this at this point, but we will change this in the near future.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks! I didn’t know about this!

Thank you Celine for the detailed response to my question regarding the granular preset, I’ll try tackling it again today.

1 Like

how do i see in the scope the output is clipping? Does the line turns thicker?, other color?

what is the difference here? they both talk about freq of grains, coarse or fine & change the freq of the grains?

1 Like

you beat me to it… Wondering the same thing myself. :slight_smile:

Right now there is not a lot of visual information in the scope when the signal clips. When the signal hits the top or bottom part of the scope you know that it’s clipping. We’ve been thinking of adding a clipping indicator in the scope which would be shown as soon as the signal clips.

4 Likes

Thanks for catching this :slight_smile: This is indeed confusing and I’ll update my post from yesterday + manual.

GrCo (=grain frequency coarse) and GrFine (=grain frequency fine) determines how fast the grains are triggered for playback and this doesn’t change the pitch of the sample

Crse and Fine should be used to change the pitch of the sample

2 Likes