Features and improvements

one way to do this is to have a special module you insert in the grid that will become the inputs or ouputs of the encapsulated block. but there are all sorts of issues with this approach. perhaps it’s better to do it the way I described here (2x4 block you can save and then insert everywhere).

So you would just make one wavetable synth voice instead of 4 right now in the first example preset, and then you would set the polyphony to 4 voices at the global level?

One potential disadvantage is that it becomes harder to create slight differences between voices. When I build multiple voices I tend to make small changes to each voice.

You mean you wouldn’t be able to edit it while it is a saved ‘template’, but surely after it is pasted in the grid, editing should be possible as per normal, right?

I’m not sure, if you allow editing of the block you inserted then what do you do if you make a change to your reusable block and want it to propagate in all the presets in which the block is used?

I don’t think the convention should hold after it is pasted. If you paste it 4 times and change one of them that is on the user. They can either update the other 3 or they can use the updated one and save it as a new template.

The screen is so spacious, I suspect you are right about this direction.

That was the idea, yes.

I can see how this would make a polyphonic patch more organic and expressive, but it would also make it less predictable (unless, perhaps you had a really strong mental model of how voice allocation is working and can anticipate the variations? I don’t yet understand the voice allocation at this tactile level).

Yes, perhaps copy/paste addresses the need, but maybe store the idea of “number of voices” parameter away for later. Might eventually come in handy for more complex polyphonic patches.

1 Like

i’m just afraid for the screen (lifetime)
sometimes i’m off to buy a packet of cigs but my studio stays put
then no signals are running, so no moving scopes but the screen stays the same for a long time
how long is reasonable?

For example to mute the output of the internal dc sequencer or clock.

something like ghost blocks which inherit the master settings and some other like insert blocks which behave as normal modules?

solo / mute voices for sounddesign or for error / fault / pinpointing troubles, to hear how multiple/some/one voices behaves in the mix (with other instruments)

1 Like

I would add that it would be useful to lock temporarily at 0 or full values. This way when you are spinning the encoders quickly you don’t spin past these values. A toggle for this in the global menu could be good to enable and disable this as necessary.

Or if it reaches min or max it will stick until you turn the knob again. So you could spin it enough to send it half way through the zero and into the upper levels, but it would always land on zero. If you spin it again you can get to the top values. If you’re going up, same thing but max value stick until touched again.

1 Like

I have no idea at the moment. We’ve let the SSP run for days on end without seeing any effect of burning in. You will be able to buy a replacement display if it’s ever necessary.

If you haven’t added it already feel free to add your screensaver idea as a seperate feature in the SSP features category and describe how it should work.

if you can copy paste settings between the voices in the grid, you can make it behave predictable?

Yes, but it makes tweaking patches a real hassle. Instead of turning a knob you turn a knob, copy, and then paste x15.

1 Like

ok, I see your point

1 Like

It’s not a dealbreaker. Most patches don’t really need gobs of voices. But it’s nice to have when you do want to go there.

1 Like

@bert @jason I love all this talk of copy/pasting groups of modules and their connections.

The way I’m compensating for this right now is building out various “starting point” presets. However, that is a real compensation, because there will be times I just make some random patch and want to throw in a full polyphonic voice… well I have to spend x-amount of time to build that same old 4 voices AGAIN… if I had a template option then I could just plop it out instantly… very cool

1 Like

this will probably more clear to a user when documentation over module’s ,here sampler, would be available

You can find some more information about the sampler here: