Dedicated per-Layer Trig destinations for Sampler

There should be dedicated soft Trigger (Gate) Inputs for each of the 8 possible Layers in the Sampler.

This would provide complete flexibility in addressing the 8 sample layers independently.

4 Likes

Or perhaps add an extra parameter that selects one of 8 samples with voltage. At the moment you select one of the 8 samples by varying the trigger gate, but in eurorack i dont really know of any trigger sequencers that have control over the gain of the trigger output. The only way to do it is to use an extra VCA, but it seems like a weird workaround. Having a choice between trigger level control and cv level control would be ideal.

1 Like

the way this is handled by the Rossum Electro Assimi8tor is like this

so you have 8 samples after one another (in 1 voice) and each is assigned automatically (but can be manual overridden) a cv range (it reacts to -5 -> +5 V)

a CV in of your choice links to the ‘zone’ select

if you let the CV range overlap, the SSP can play poly (if the samples are contained parallel, not sequentially)

ER-301 calls these “zones” as “slices”, and then provides many different configurations for how to address those slices with CV. Pretty handy!

http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Variable_Speed_Player#Address_Mode

• nearest: The slice parameter value is mapped linearly to a sample position in the sample buffer (0 - beginning, 1 - ending) and the nearest slice is chosen.
  • index: The slice parameter is mapped linearly to a slice index (0 - first slice, 1 - last slice).
  • 12TET: The slice parameter is interpreted as a V/oct signal and each semitone is mapped to a slice (1st semitone - 1st slice, 2nd semitone - 2nd slice, and so on).
1 Like

that is how it is in the sampler of the ssp as well but right now the gate input of the sampler does both traditional “gate” and sample selection and that is a bit confusing like @IvanS mentioned, so I will split this up.

Lets say the sampler has 8 gate inputs to trigger the 8 samples individually and that there are 8 outputs, one for each sample, and that we have one selection input. What does the selection input do?

Yup, always liked this aspect of the 301 :slight_smile:

1 Like

They’d be two totally independent ways of addressing the sample layers.
So it would be incumbent upon the user not to make them fight with each other
(unless one wanted that specific result for some reason), but overall it would just
be two ways of choosing which sample is playing at a given moment: One would
be more for clear-cut situations (e.g. “play THIS sample now”), the other more appropriate for a bit of randomness/unpredictability (“let’s see what happens when i feed a random voltage
into the sample-select input”, etc.)

That’s not specific enough unfortunately.

Perhaps it is better to move the “signal switching” that is in the sampler module at the moment (because that is what it is essentially) into a seperate module. So the sampler becomes something easy to understand then, and if you want to switch between outputs of the sampler you can do so with a signal switching module. You can also use this module for other stuff then.

The slicing idea is perhaps something for a different module where a loaded sample is sliced automatically and you can then adjust how it’s sliced and trigger the individual slices using a gate input. You can still have a selection input as well. I don’t see how you can do this within the same sampler module. If you think that is possible to do and not too confusing please elaborate :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No, you’re right, it’s a different model. It’s useful though. Lets you think about interesting ways of addressing parts of long field recordings, or doing sample chains Elektron style (etc etc).

A good idea for a seperate module for sure.

2 Likes

I like the idea of moving the voltage-based signal switching to a separate module that is more general-purpose, and having the dedicated per-layer inputs on the Sampler, as you say.

this is going in the right direction

on other gear, the gate triggers the sample (whether in 1 shot or gate mode) no matter what
the CV input chooses the slice / sample (position)

i don’t know if we should ‘sacrifice’ 8 (virtual) inputs to this ; it sounds overkill and maybe cluttering User Interface

on the other hand, if you wish to trigger 2/3/…/8 samples at the same time, and control all of that, you will need some control mechanism as choice ; sometimes you just want 2 or 3 samples to play (simultaneously) and you want to be able to control which 2 or 3 samples

the above has been addressed in the software update now -

1 Like