Conventional waveform editor in SAM

Description of feature (short and simple):
There definitely needs to be a conventional waveform display and editor
in the Sampler. This point-cloud stuff is not practical or useful, as it provides no way to accurately select/define sample boundaries on transients, etc, and basically tells you nothing about the sample
other than that there is one present.
This is all obvious, but I don’t recall seeing a post about it yet, so I figured I’d jump in here.
I’d file this under “high priority”, just in terms of the general level of utility/impact on usability.

How will this feature improve the workflow or experience for all SSP users (keep it short and focused):
It’ll allow the Sampler to be useful and practical in the conventional and expected way.

2 Likes

can you post screenshots / examples of sample displays that you are a fan of, and explain why they are great?

yes, I see your point here and agree with that.

The recorder menu is where all the recording and editing features are for samples. The sampler focuses on playing back samples.

it does 2 things:

1. reduce or minimize the amount of cpu time spent drawing sample waveforms
  2. show you the real sample data. A sample file contains data points, and any representation or display where you connect those with line segments or splines basically “simulates” what happens after the data points pass through the DAC and the waveform gets reconstructed. So it’s not what’s actually IN the file.

Gotcha. Except that there’s 30+ years of Mac/Win DAW convention here to take into account here,
and neither platform’s apps (which most everyone learned on and is familiar with) used that style of waveform representation, so it’s neither familiar nor intuitive to most users.
Further, I can’t really imagine that drawing sampled waveforms is gonna bring the SSP to its knees CPU-wise, since there’s not some DAW-like scenario where you’ve potentially got a vast number of onscreen waveforms being drawn/scrolled at all times. We’re just talking about in cases where the Recorder or Sampler are in use, really.

So anyway, as requested, here are some screenshots:

The above one is straight-up, generic SoundForge Pro waveform editing. Pretty self-explanatory.
Unglamorous, utilitarian, but quite usable. The waveform colors are customizable, though the ones
shown here aren’t particularly great. However, it covers all the basics; both channels of a stereo file,
conventional style waveform display allowing the expected high-precision operation/selection, all relevant file info shown as well.

By contrast, the above shows the sample editor in the ER-301. Much smaller and less powerful than using a computer, but it’s a tiny display and packs a lot of power and information in. Select with Shift-EncoderLeft/RIght, zoom with Coarse/Fine+Encoder. The Menu option takes you to slicing options and the DSP functions I mentioned in my other post (Normalize, Fades, Trim, DC Offset Removal, etc.) Pretty damn usable considering the screen size and interface limitations (no mouse/kbd.) Not world class, but it’ll get you out of a jam when working with samples on the 301, and the color scheme is nice to look at.

Here’s the same display zoomed in:

Good for high-precision selection.

Taking it waaay back to the 80s, here’s the old Alchemy waveform editor:

Old-school but still very clear and usable. Customizable colors, navigation key shortcuts, generally totally obvious to use if you were familiar with any similar apps, all the info you need onscreen at once.

Back in modern DAW-land, here’s a closeup from the current Pro Tools HD:

Pretty much the industry standard, of course. Obviously a DAW, so a different context than the SSP,
but very fast to navigate. Keyboard shortcuts to instantly change zoom factor, navigate
to selection start/end, and so on, or zoom dynamically with the mouse. The ruler at the top is customizable to whatever units you want (samples, bars/beats, SMPTE, etc), so you always know where you are and how long
the sample is.

Hopefully, this is a reasonable cross-section that gives a little historical context and a sense of expected norms
in the sample-editor world. Basically, I’d be happy if the SSP even just had something like the Alchemy
version shown above, or the ER-301’s, since both are totally usable, and it’ll be possible to use a mouse & keyboard at some point in the not-too-distant future, which is super important for this task.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can provide anything else.

3 Likes

It does make it difficult to find zero crossings though.

1 Like

Passport Alchemy FTW!
Great program that went the way of the dodo but very powerful back in the day with my EIII.
I eventually migrated to Bias Peak after it went extinct, but that too withered away…
Would be nice to have even the basic functionality of either of these programs inside the SSP.
@Mercurial +1

1 Like

+1 for ‘normal’ daw style waveforms… especially if an editor is deployed.

3 Likes

OK, totally get it, I’ll update the waveform drawing to be continuous instead of point clouds.

5 Likes

+1 for normal waveforms if I didn’t already do that lol. absolutely crucial for any editing/zero crossing hunting etc.

side note: going to sample down into the SSP this week. I’ll report if I have problems/brain freeze issues. This thread has inspired me.

I posted this as part of my post in sampler questions but i thought I’d also contribute here too.
It seems such a shame to have that absolutely huge and colourful screen at hand and only have limited waveform visuals windowed in a screen that is only taking up a 3rd of the screen real estate and the waveform inside that window only utilising half of that window again. What would make more sense to me would be to have another waveform window, full screen, showing a stereo waveform (left and right channels) in a conventional way in their own separate lanes that you can access via scrolling to another page.
So would love to see conventional waveform displays and at full screen would be ideal.

2 Likes