Hello. I’ve been considering picking up an SSP for years, now, and even though it’s been years I’m still unsure. Currently I am leaning even more towards yes on the fact alone that the SSP can be used as a multichannel audio/DC interface/recorder, however I’m still on the fence as to justify taking up that much rack space I need to consider all the modules that I won’t be able to fit in my case - particularly for live performance. I’m really hoping the SSP is not just a capable substitute, but a joy and inspiration to work with.
Here are a lot of questions which I think will really help me gain a better understanding of what creative possibilities are at hand as well as what limitations. I have read the manual, but there are a lot of modules with no links and some that do are just support issues or feature requests that tell me little. I have also watched videos at one point or another and dived deep into many forum posts, software update announcements, etc. - indeed I have spent hours trying to answer the following questions on my own, though it’s likely I missed a point here or there. So apologies for the long list of questions and thanks in advance for any time spent in response. None of these questions alone are remotely close to being deal breakers or anything, I just really want to know!
- Do the ADSR segments support curves (log, exp, etc)? (exponential is particularly important for percussive sounds, for example)
- If yes to #1, are those curves modulatable?
- What parameters are available?
- Can all parameters be modulated?
- Can more than one reverb be used? There is no entry for the reverb module in the forum manual index, though it is mentioned in the global effects section. There is also a forum post complaining about how unusable the module is and that nothing can be changed or modulated, but it’s really really old and I’d be surprised if that was still the case.
- Did this ever get sorted out? Modulating delay time is super important to me: Delay and Reverb Modules If that has been sorted out, what is the algorithm? Is it the cross fading type that results in smooth changes (like a 4MS or Disting) or is it the doppler effect?
- Is feedback patching possible (e.g. low filter in the feedback path)?
- Can more than one of these units be used?
- Is the delay clockable and if so can the clock be divided and/or multiplied?
- Can MIDI CCs from a controller be used to control parameters? (The current MIDI documentation explicitly states that this is not possible, however I’ve seen forum posts suggest that this was added at some point)
- If yes to #1, am I able to choose what channel? For example Channel 1 CC 1 vs Channel 2 CC 1 and use them both without conflicts?
- Again if #1, is anyone using a MIDI Fighter Twister controller with the SSP? That would make me extremely happy (love that controller, I have two, but zero usefulness in Eurorack for me now - this could be its own forum post I guess)
- What’s the unit precision? Milliseconds? Microseconds?
Of all of these questions this is the most important for me. I need something that will give me 100% wet delay down to an increment of at least 1ms on an input to compensate for various latencies throughout my system introduced from other digital modules. The way I deal with this now is not ideal and really hoping I can solve this with the SSP.
16 pages of 8 slots
- Can things be moved after being created without losing connections for organizational purposes?
- Any other visual tools to aid organization?
- Does anyone ever run out of slots ie. is 128 the maximum module count? If so, why is there a limit?
- Are interconnections between modules constrained to those within those 8 slots, and is that what the BUS module was made to address?
- Is there a concept of abstraction or encapsulation? I see that there is a “macro” control, but has any progress been made on Meta Control Module (you REALLY want this)? Either more outs from the DCG module or similar?
- I see that there are 200 presets but I imagine these are complete snapshots of the entire state rather than “units” that can be mixed & composed. Is that true?
- If yes to #1, are things like “change all instances of the microtonal quantizer’s scale at once” possible?
- Is there a way to live loop / sample / “granularize” incoming audio?
- Is there a way to pitch and/or frequency shift “live” signals?