A few basic questions

After using the UI for a little while, I have a few basic questions:

• Is there a way to jump to the top of a list (e.g. the list of inputs/outputs)?
  • Is there a way to see only the enabled outputs, so I can see routings at a glance?
  • In a polyphonic patch, is there any way to adjust parameters that affect all voices at once? i.e. adjust the attack time for all voices?

all good questions

maybe add them to the wish list?

scroll to top of list - no.

enabled outputs ( I assume you mean inputs :wink: ) only - no.
id like this, but I think Bert was resistant as it enforces a workflow … enabled input, then connect.
(frankly, you can also argue that the enabling of inputs is actually not required, it could auto-enable inputs - in this workflow, the filtering would not work)

polyphonic voice parameters…
generally no… ( * ) and this would not be possible - there is no concept of polyphonic voices on the SSP. e.g. imagine you have 4 SVF modules one for each voice, the patch does not know they are 4 voices… or 4 independent filters.

there are some workarounds, e.g. SVF has cv control over the cutoff… so you could pass the same voltage into the 4 different inputs.

( * ) ok, there is something in LFO which allows you to have a group of oscillators, but I dont use it, so cannot remember details… but its not a generic mechanism that would help with all voice parameters… you could use it I guess if you were using paraphonic voices.
I also dont think this is the way forward to support polyphonic voice structures.

Enabled outputs – no, I meant outputs. In the right-hand scroll list, I can see all of the available outputs of the current module paired with all the available inputs of all the modules I’ve connected it to. Since this is all pairwise combinations, it can be a huge list. Being able to view just the set of those that I’ve activated would be handy, to see connections at a glance.

This is my main UI frustration so far – scrolling through that list, especially when using modules like MTTR and SAM that have a full set of 8 ins/outs, or OUT that has 24 ins. Especially when I accidentally loaded another patch instead of saving the current one, right after adding like 16 new routings :slight_smile: I’ll post a feature request about a couple of things that I think would help, aside from accelerated scrolling.

On polyphony. Yes, it’s something to get used to after using the Nord Modular for so long, where polyphony is just magically layered in for you. The separate-voices thing here makes it nearly unusable, for a patch with any complexity at all. One possible solution would be a “control bank” module that just has some values, which you can hook up to the decay input of every envelope, or the filter cutoff of every filter, etc. I think this is what the macro module is for? But I guess it’s only limited to 8 total values. I should play with that.

1 Like

ah, for outputs, Id have phrased this as 'connected outputs… as you dont really enable them (as you do for inputs) … but whatever.

Id personally prefer filtering by enabled inputs, as this would shorten the connection list possibility since the list is nOutputs x nInputs.

polyphony… yeah, it is what it is…
it was obviously initially modelled on physical modular, which doesn’t have polyphony.
these days we are seeing more virtual modular with polyphony, so feels a bit dated.
but hard to retro fit… lots of changes.
also with a small cpu, it’d be easy to swamp it if you had polyphonic modules.

oh yeah, that makes a lot of sense. on the right-hand list, only show inputs that have been enabled on the destination module. It’d change the flow, since you’d have to go do that first, but it’s pretty logical and would cut down on the amount of scrolling needed.

Being able to enable/disable outputs as well would make that list even more manageable, but I don’t know where in the UI that would go.

yeah, polyphony is hard. I didn’t primarily get the SSP for polyphonic patches, so whatever. I can see using it for simple patches (string machine maybe) and using midi CCs for tweaking.

The nord modular suffers from the CPU problem – it’s easy to make any patch polyphonic, but you don’t get much polyphony unless you keep things very simple and optimize.